HELP! Evinrude 70hp only starts with Cold start primer solenoid

vandad

Cadet
I have a problem, my Evinrude 70hp only starts (cold start) using the Cold start primer solenoid. But once it starts once and engine warms up, I can re-start the engine without using the Cold start primer solenoid.

However, if I disconnect the fuel line and leave the engine works to empty the remaining fuel in the engine/carb, and engine dies. Then if I reconnect the fuel line and pump gas into the engine again I have to use the Cold start primer solenoid to start the engine....

What can be wrong?

Cleaning carb? fuel line? the Cold start primer solenoid? please help:confused:

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: HELP! Evinrude 70hp only starts with Cold start primer solenoid

When was the last carb overhaul?
It may be running lean and need a boost to get her fired up.
It also may be just the way your motor is.

vandad

Cadet

I cleaned my carb in September BUT I have a metal fuel tank which has a lot of rust so everytime I open my carb I see a lot fo metal rust in the carb....

But WHAT does it do with cold starting????? :confused::confused:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The first thing I would do is get rid of the rust problem. Then install a water sep filter, flush the fuel system and do the carbs again. When you're using the primer you're by-passing the carbs.

mrcj001

Petty Officer 1st Class

If possible, get rid of the metal tank. It is a rust magnet. Do that before rebuilding the carbs

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, but I fail to see the basis for the question. You are SUPPOSED to use the primer to cold start the motor. That is what it is there for. Also, if you run the motor dry, there is inadequate fuel remaining in there to restart (after all it did quit running due to lack of fuel), so use of the primer would be expected to get enough fuel in there to restart.

Get rid of that rust problem. That is a separate issue.

SigSaurP229

Commander

I am just going to throw this out there as well. You realize that everytime you run those carbs dry you are running your motor without oil right? That is really hard on that motor. It really sounds to me like it is doing what it is supposed to do. Get rid of the metal tank and install a fuel filter.