How to adjust shift cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I have a 1997 BE115GLEVA

I've had the motor for about 2 months now. Runs good, but I've noticed that the shift linkage is off. When I go into reverse, then back into neutral (on the controls), the motor stays into reverse until I go like 1/2 inch into forward, then it kicks into Neutral. Likewise, when in forward and backing off, it goes into neutral JUST before the remote "clicks" into neutral. It's 100% consistent, which tells me that the shift cable just needs some adjusting; I just need it adjusted 1/2-1" or so and it will be perfect; right in neutral when the remote is in neutral. I've been putting up with it for now, it works perfectly, but it's getting a little annoying now.

I own the OMC shop manual, but there is no mention at all in the entire thing about adjusting the actual shift cable. Can you guys help me out on this one?

Thanks!

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to adjust shift cable

Mine does a similar thing. I think the only adjustment is right under the cowling where the cables come into the engine. There is a thumb wheel adjuster. Since its getting less crowded at the ramp I may put in this week and tie off the boat real good and put in and out of gear at the dock and adjust with the thumb wheel. It just lengthens or shortens the cable. I tried at the house then put in and saw an improvement but its not perfect. I thing the dock trick is going to work

yoster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know what dials you're talking about. Was hesitant to touch them in fear of it mis-aligning something. I'll give that a try!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You may also have a lot of "slop" in the cables or control box.

Fed

Commander

I've got a 1988 OEM manual and it's fully described in Remote Control section 8.
In a nutshell.
Lift out the trunnion nut.
Shift handle in neutral.
Gearbox in neutral (Verify detent)
Shift lever in center of free travel.
Adjust the trunnion nut so it slips into the pocket.

There's also a set way of connecting the throttle cable that you wouldn't know about if you didn't read the book, never stop learning about this stuff, off to check my throttle cable now I know why it's a little stiff pulling back to neutral.

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fixed mine this afternoon at the dock at the ramp. No one was around with the rainy weather so I had the place to myself. tied off good and started adjusting the thumbwheel nut to adjust the cable. Worked great.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Surrender, you did it just right. You had it in water, under idle load which is the best way to do it. I've adjusted them out of water and when you lake test them sometimes things would change. Good Job !!

Bronx68

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same problem. The dealer adjusted the cable on land with a hose but it is slightly off when in the water. When going from forward to neutral I need to go past the detent point in the shift lever. Does anyone have a photo or drawing of this adjustment trunnion? What is meant by lift out the trunnion nut?

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

it is a pretty simple thing, the "trunnion" is in a groove and is retained by a clip/clamp that tightens over it to stop it moving by itself, the correct way to adjust has already been mentioned, remove the trunnion from it's groove, set throttle lever to neutral, select neutral at the motor end (with cable trunnion out of its groove) then turn trunnion untill it just slips into the groove, tighten clamp, it does not vary being in the water or out, it is a mechanical device.

jasee

Recruit
What about Morse cable that doesn't have the trunnion nut? Is that the only way?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What about Morse cable that doesn't have the trunnion nut? Is that the only way?

Welcome aboard.

Please read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new thread on your issue. This thread is 4 years old.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
which switch kills motor for and instant when taking out of gear and how does it work on a 1989 bayliner with a 2.3 liter ford motor

Did you read the thread? It's old and it's now closed. Start a thread of your own in the right section. You do not have a Johnson or Evinrude outboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.