1975 Evinrude Silver Starflite PT&T

kyled1986

Cadet
Can anyone tell me from the attached pictures what type of PT&T I have. I have looked at the Seloc Manual but cant figure out which type it is. The manual shows 3 options...a convential, a fastrac, and a single ram. My setup has two trim cylinders and two tilt cylinders. Help please!

Attachments

• Evinrude 001.jpg
    Evinrude 001.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Evinrude 002.jpg
    Evinrude 002.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Evinrude 003.jpg
    Evinrude 003.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 Evinrude Silver Starflite PT&T

You have the old style PT&T used on 1973 through 1977 V4 motors. Your PT&T has the Calco pump which is difficult to find or service due to lack of parts. You might want to try to locate a complete Prestolite pump.

If you are missing some parts; click the thumbnail, please.

Attachments

• TILT%20TRAILER.jpg
    TILT%20TRAILER.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 3

kyled1986

Cadet

You have the old style PT&T used on 1973 through 1977 V4 motors. Your PT&T has the Calco pump which is difficult to find or service due to lack of parts. You might want to try to locate a complete Prestolite pump.

If you are missing some parts; click the thumbnail, please.

I am new at this and I apologize if this is an unnecessary question....but which of the three does that mean it is? The conventional style for large outboards, the fastrac style, or the single ram style? Thanks!

kyled1986

Cadet

Oh...and by the way...what you see as far as the pump/motor for the tilt/trim is exactly how it came when I got it. Apparently someone had took the top off of it to fix a broken wire and never put it back together. The windings inside of it are all rusted and nasty looking as are the brushes in the cap that goes on the top. I really dont even know where to start with it. Should I try to put it back together and make it work or what? I appreciate all replies....this is the first boat motor ive ever attempted to work on!! I am an electrician so I can figure out electrical issues but ive never done much mechanically.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

None of your Seloc descriptions apply.

You have two shock absorbers between the brackets and two hydraulic cylinders. The port cylinder is the trim cylinder while the starboard cylinder is the tilt cylinder.

If you can get the pump to work, you should. There is a company that will rebuild the Calco pumps but the price is high.

If you look around the BRP site you can find the parts catalog for your motor, with the PT&T parts diagram. http://shop.evinrude.com/

Click the thumbnails for more information.

Attachments

• 1973 PT&T WIRING.JPG
    1973 PT&T WIRING.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 1975 PT&T 1.jpg
    1975 PT&T 1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 1975 PT&T 1 (2).jpg
    1975 PT&T 1 (2).jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Old  PT&T Function.jpg
    Old PT&T Function.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 2

kyled1986

Cadet

You have two shock absorbers between the brackets and two hydraulic cylinders. The port cylinder is the trim cylinder while the starboard cylinder is the tilt cylinder.

If you can get the pump to work, you should. There is a company that will rebuild the Calco pumps but the price is high.

If you look around the BRP site you can find the parts catalog for your motor, with the PT&T parts diagram. http://shop.evinrude.com/

Thanks for the tremendous help so far! What is the BRP site? Again...thanks!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Those pre-'78 TnT units are rare and PRICEY. Definitely do what you can to repair yours as replacement will be difficult. I tried for years to find a reasonably priced complete unit to add to my '73 Johnson and never succeeded. They always went for over $400 on ebay.

kyled1986

Cadet

Those pre-'78 TnT units are rare and PRICEY. Definitely do what you can to repair yours as replacement will be difficult. I tried for years to find a reasonably priced complete unit to add to my '73 Johnson and never succeeded. They always went for over $400 on ebay.

I have figured out that all I need is the motor assembly or electrical part in other words. From the reading i've been doing its going to be very hard if not impossible to find a Calco replacement. Would I be best to buy a complete Prestolite set up with motor/pump and everything? There seems to be alot of confusion on this and it REALLY confuses me as this is the first boat motor that ive ever touched. It seems I got a very tough problem right out of the gate, at least for a beginner lol.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If it makes you feel any better, your TnT is probably the most odd-ball part you've got. The rest of your '75 motor should be fine parts-wise. I went into a BRP dealer for a water pump for my '73 and it still looked like they could get just about every nut, bolt, and screw for it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I have figured out that all I need is the motor assembly or electrical part in other words. From the reading i've been doing its going to be very hard if not impossible to find a Calco replacement. Would I be best to buy a complete Prestolite set up with motor/pump and everything? There seems to be alot of confusion on this and it REALLY confuses me as this is the first boat motor that ive ever touched. It seems I got a very tough problem right out of the gate, at least for a beginner lol.

If you want to reproduce the system you should look for a complete replacement, or at least a complete hydraulic pump. The trim rod on your port cylinder is rusted, so it probably won't work unless you replace the rod.

A good alternatinve is to remove the system and add a CMC PT&T to your setup; the newer built-in units won't fit on your midsection. http://www.iboats.com/Electric-Hydr...9433184--**********.571517257--view_id.165184

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Will the OMC Stringer pictured here be a direct replacement for what I have?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OMC-...0925417QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

The stringer pump will work. It is grounded through the case. Positive voltage to either of the wires makes it work in one or the other direction.

You will need to cap one of the two outlets; I believe that they are 1/8 NPT.

You will need to add a sealer to waterproof the unit.

Do you have the relay box for the wiring?

kyled1986

Cadet

The stringer pump will work. It is grounded through the case. Positive voltage to either of the wires makes it work in one or the other direction.

You will need to cap one of the two outlets; I believe that they are 1/8 NPT.

You will need to add a sealer to waterproof the unit.

Do you have the relay box for the wiring?

No...I dont have the relay box. Where might I find that at? Also, will that stringer bolt directly up with no modification?

About the CNC PT&T...Is that a complete replacement for my whole PT&T system? Thats about equilevant to what a whole new Calco replacement pump would cost me.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yes that's a whole system. It is expensive. One nice thing about it is if you someday replace your motor with one that already has TnT, you can probably sell the CMC unit for close to what you paid for it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The CMC t/t is a very good unit and very simple to install. I've put a few on and they worked out good. You get rid of all of that "garbage" you now have on it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The Stringer (prestolite) pump mounts the same as the Calco - see the thumbnails.

Attachments

• OLD PT&T_9.jpg
    OLD PT&T_9.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN0129.jpg
    DSCN0129.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0128.jpg
    DSCN0128.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1

kyled1986

Cadet

Beleive it or not a friend of mine has an old boat that has the exact same PT&T that my motor has. Gonna try to get it today and get it on over the weekend and see if its gonna work. If it does that'll be great. If itll last me long enough to save up the money for the CMC that would be even greater:D

kyled1986

Cadet

Ok...the power trim I got off of my friends old boat is actually fully functional. It appears to me from the other pictures you guys have posted that I now have a prestolite pump. I had to cut the wire coming from the pump off to get it loose from the old boat. My question now is...where do I hook it up to on my boat. Up until now I have just tested it by attaching leads to the battery. I know there is a solenoid relay somewhere that ties the pump back into the trim up/down switch I just dont know where it is. Where are these things usually located and what does it look like? This shouldn't be a problem but the wires to the old calco pump I had on here had already been cut and snatched loose when I got the boat so I have no idea where they plugged in either. Thanks guys!

kyled1986

Cadet

Where did you get these images? My Seloc manual doesn't have images as year specific as these that you have.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Ok...the power trim I got off of my friends old boat is actually fully functional. It appears to me from the other pictures you guys have posted that I now have a prestolite pump. I had to cut the wire coming from the pump off to get it loose from the old boat. My question now is...where do I hook it up to on my boat. Up until now I have just tested it by attaching leads to the battery. I know there is a solenoid relay somewhere that ties the pump back into the trim up/down switch I just dont know where it is. Where are these things usually located and what does it look like? This shouldn't be a problem but the wires to the old calco pump I had on here had already been cut and snatched loose when I got the boat so I have no idea where they plugged in either. Thanks guys!

As shown in the previously posted wiring diagram, there is a single solenoid inside the OE PT&T wiring box which was used when raising the motor.

The original Prestolite and Calco pumps were wired the same, both having three wires. The Stringer pumps are wired differently, having only two wires.

If you do not have the wiring box, you can use a reversing solenoid, two solenoids, one solenoid, or a switch located at the engine rather than at the helm. The switch should be rated higher than the amperage demand unless you use two solenoids or one reversing solenoid. Be sure to use the wiring gauge or larger as specified in the diagram.