• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

135hp Evin Starfire Mid 70's Opinion?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 135hp Evin Starfire Mid 70's Opinion?

I picked up a Hurricane SD176 Deck boat, no motor. Looking for a good engine to power it.

There is a Mid 70's Evinrude 135hp Starfire available long shaft, saw it run on muffs. Can't put in the water because he pushed his transom in. Turns out his boat was only rated for 100hp and it was an old 60's boat. Seemed to run good a little rough on the cold start then warmed up seemed to run fine.

I will check the compression. Forward and reverse engaged.

My question - is this a good motor? How's the history on it? I saw some post that state this is only about 115hp at the lower end?

The boat I'm putting it on is a 17' Hurricane deck boat, weighs 1700lbs with out anything in or on it. Max HP rating is 140. The use is smaller inland lakes, skiing, tubing and cruising.

I have a 1967 Merc 500, 50HP, and have several 5-7hp outboards, but have not been around any bigger johnrudes

Any input on the motor would be great.

Despite the cost of Living, It's still a popular thing

1973 Starcraft 21 mariner that's no longer for sale & Lone Star-Medallion-II-1966-oh-scrap
    & 1963 14' Lone Star Big Fisherman Repairs

Re: 135hp Evin Starfire Mid 70's Opinion?

i loved my 77 140hp.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Tashasdaddy, I have a Nephew that lives in Jacksonville. He's not into boats, at least not yet, banking and golf are his things.

The guy I bought this boat from had a 140 Yammy that he put on his bass boat. He said he could do 47mph with 8 people on board.

Would/should this 135hp rude get me to 40mph???

1973 Starcraft 21 mariner that's no longer for sale & Lone Star-Medallion-II-1966-oh-scrap

Comment

deck boats have a LOT more drag than your average bass boat. 40mph is FAST for a deck boat, I don't even know if you would want to go that fast...

I would guess around 20-25mph would be your top speed, but it all depends on the efficiency of the hull.

Comment

Blimp
          deck boats have a LOT more drag than your average bass boat. 40mph is FAST for a deck boat, I don't even know if you would want to go that fast...

I would guess around 20-25mph would be your top speed, but it all depends on the efficiency of the hull.
          The guy said he would do 47 mph with the 140 Yammy mounted on the deck boat.

The boat is a 17" Hurricane Tri Hull. Mid to late 80's

I have a 1964 Crosby V hull 17' Fiberglass with Merc 500 50hp and I can get to 30mph with that. I would think a 135 hp would push better than 20-25mph

Comment

You should see 40MPH on an 18' deck boat with a 135 if the hull is not waterlogged. Make sure the 135 is newer than '72 as you probably don't want an electric shift model.
            1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
            Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
            1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
            Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

Comment

The 1970's 135HP was rated differently than more recent motors; it is roughly the equivalent of a crossflow 115HP after 1984.

Comment

Originally posted by ezmobee View Post
                You should see 40MPH on an 18' deck boat with a 135 if the hull is not waterlogged. Make sure the 135 is newer than '72 as you probably don't want an electric shift model.

+1 You should see 40MPH. 4 blade solas alum~$100., would be cheap and good for your purposes. The prop he "should" have been running will be too tall for your needs.

125HP max in '72, 135 started in '73, so you're good on the better lower unit.

With the crappy fuel, many were retro'd with lower compression head gaskets and lower Max. timing..

When you do your compression test, make sure the motor has warmed up and has stopped the startup smoking - all that oil/fuel can give false higher #'s.

Does it have PT&T which came stock on the Silver Starflight?

How much is he asking?
                When a shop owner, tech, highly knowledgeable shade tree mechanic, and others generously offer free advice that solve your problem...

Can you kindly close out your topic with the solution, so other anxious boat owners can benefit from your experience...

Comment

Originally posted by dazk14 View Post
                  +1 You should see 40MPH. 4 blade solas alum~$100., would be cheap and good for your purposes. The prop he "should" have been running will be too tall for your needs.

125HP max in '72, 135 started in '73, so you're good on the better lower unit.

With the crappy fuel, many were retro'd with lower compression head gaskets and lower Max. timing..

When you do your compression test, make sure the motor has warmed up and has stopped the startup smoking - all that oil/fuel can give false higher #'s.

Does it have PT&T which came stock on the Silver Starflight?

How much is he asking?
                  Actually the PT&T was not introduced until 1975 but it was available as a kit for the 1973 and 1974 models and many were added at that time.

Comment

ezmobee - I hope I'm not waterlogged but that's a subject for a different post. And No I don't ever want the electric shift

ezeke - at a rated 115hp actual it should still do what I want. I don't need to go 50MPH on the lake, even though my son may want to.

dazk14 - I'll have to look at the prop, I know it's a 3 blade don't know the pitch.

This didn't look like it was ever opened, is there away to tell if it was retro'd.
                    Does this help or hurt the motor?

Thanks for the compression test advice

No Power trim on this one. It's a Starfire, not a Silver Starflight.

He's asking $600. It comes with a boat that needs a chain saw makeover (dump) and the trailer is very average, with new tires.

Keep the questions and advice coming, Thanks

Comment

Granted it's a decent motor. But I'm not sure I'd pay $600 for that vintage motor with no TnT. (and trust me, as the former owned of a '73 85, you will not find a reasonably priced add-on unit for it unless you get really really lucky. I tried for years.)

Comment

ezmobee - I wasn't planning on $600 either, I'm thinking $350, chainsaw the boat and dump $50.00, sell the trailer $150-200 Net cost $200-250. Bonus if I can sell other salvage out of the boat

I also would prefer power trim. I may keep looking, but this one seems like a reasonable motor that would get me on the water.

Comment

That it would and your proposed deal sounds like a winner to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ezeke View Post
                            Actually the PT&T was not introduced until 1975 but it was available as a kit for the 1973 and 1974 models and many were added at that time.
                            Not sure what this had to do with my post? 1973-76 were the 135's. All good lower units which was his concern. Power Trim was a factory option on all 1973-76 50HP-135HP motors and the single year run of the Evinrude "Silver Starflite" was the only unit that was factory PT&T standard during that run- hence the different color.

Now, back to the grind...

+1 on the deal. You may want to double check the dumping fees and some dumps don't like fiberglass.
                            I've seen prices as low as free and as high as $1200.

When cutting, the fiberglass dust goes everywhere, so cover up your bod or you'll be itching for decades - goggles, respirator. Tarp below wouldn't hurt either, your dog's butt will appreciate it.

Not that it matters, but all 73-76 135 (The years they were made) were "Starflite".

Take a quick sample of the lower unit fluid - before starting it. Simply crack open the bottom drain and let a small amount out. Water or milky color we'll need to talk.

It would be nice to have the lower unit buried in a bucket or water, so it would be quiet enough to listen for engine rattles/tics.

Look for discoloration of the head/block paint, signs of overheating.
                            When a shop owner, tech, highly knowledgeable shade tree mechanic, and others generously offer free advice that solve your problem...

Can you kindly close out your topic with the solution, so other anxious boat owners can benefit from your experience...

Comment

We set the deal at $400 pending compression test and final inspection. trying to go on Sat.

dazak14

Dump fees are $40-50 for a full 4x8 trailer load no matter what it is at the local transfer station, I might look at what the main station would charge for an boat shell.

Yes I'll look at the lower end fluids, the block had no discoloration. It would be nice to have Pt&t.

I am optimistic that this will be a good deal and I'll end up with a good motor.

I saw a different motor Johnson 115hp that had the Pt&t but no controls and the wiring on the motor was all messed up - the guy still wanted $200.00 I know the trim would be worth it. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X