135hp Evin Starfire Mid 70's Opinion?

64osby

Admiral
Re: 135hp Evin Starfire Mid 70's Opinion?

dazk14
Either way, you can't go wrong. Start cuttin' and see how it goes, but definitely let us know how it went. I'm going to start an Iboats pool.

Lets have the details, I'm a bettin' man.

Take a quick sample of the lower unit fluid - before starting it. Simply crack open the bottom drain and let a small amount out. Water or milky color we'll need to talk.

I know this is water mixed in. Is it a simple seal replace or is it much more involved.

With the crappy fuel, many were retro'd with lower compression head gaskets and lower Max. timing..

What do I look for if this was done? Is this a good thing or bad? Will the compression test show at 100 vs 130????

Looking to pick up on Saturday. Most likely pick up and drop at home then go back to remodeling my daughters bedroom. Hopefully I'll be done mudding by then. Put a lot on - sand a lot off, after 5 coats or so I give up and call it good. I hate finishing drywall.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't worry so much about the actual compression numbers....just that they are all within 10% of each other.

dazk14

Ensign
Re: 135hp Evin Starflite Mid 70's Opinion?

Re: 135hp Evin Starflite Mid 70's Opinion?

dazk14

Lets have the details, I'm a bettin' man.

OVER-UNDER 1.5hrs...OVER 1.5hrs and you're itchin' for days and wished you did the Dump and Run...
Under 1.5hrs, you loved the massive destruction, and you're already covered in sheet rock dust so everything will wash off nicely...

I know this is water mixed in. Is it a simple seal replace or is it much more involved.

Like any lower unit, it can be either, or. It's good that you're in fresh water as many folks have nursed a slight leak with periodic oil changes, but without knowing when the oil was changed last and how many hours were put on it, it can be tough to judge.

What do I look for if this was done? Is this a good thing or bad? Will the compression test show at 100 vs 130????

Good (less risk to powerhead) or bad (less power) - open for debate and a worthwhile topic if you buy it. +1 for leave it alone.
Both gaskets are still available. If the paint appears original without a different color gasket line at the heads, it's likely original. Main issue is you want them similar. At 35 yrs. old 110 vs. 130 is a reasonable ballpark for the gaskets.

Looking to pick up on Saturday. Most likely pick up and drop at home then go back to remodeling my daughters bedroom. Hopefully I'll be done mudding by then. Put a lot on - sand a lot off, after 5 coats or so I give up and call it good. I hate finishing drywall.

If you are using a 6" taping knife and a hawk or one of those silly oversized taping knives that's likely the reason for so many coats and sanding. I used to own too much real estate...

6' knife and a concave drywall trowel - looks like a mason trowel just curved opposite - may be just the ticket. Got sold on that system from the Pros years ago. Also, rounding the sharp corners of a 6" knife or trowel a bit is a must. You'll be able to put more pressure in corners without cutting the tape or scratching everything to hell.

dazk14

Ensign

I hope others chime in and keep the dialog flowing.

64osby

Admiral

dazk14 - Thanks for the tech tips on the motor.

Still looking at Sat to inspect and pick up if all is good. I plan on BYOB - bring you own bucket - seller has muffs but I will have a tub that I run my small engines in. I'm not a fan of muffs.

I appreciate the advice from all. It keeps the buying itch down a bit until you check everything out.

Re Drywall tips Thanks - I use a 4" to lay the tape and go to an 8" and I have the inside corner tool. I don't use it much I seem to have better luck doing one side at a time. Most of the issues I have come from matching existing to new and the different thicknesses and making a new wall look good with an existing textured ceiling. I get picky because I hate it when the light shines and you see a spot that sticks out or in, even a little.

dazk14

Ensign

The right size bucket sounds great. If you can get even compression #'s, smooth idle and it doesn't sound like a bucket of bolts rattling around that's a good place to start.

All the Pros in this area do inside corners on each side at a time. The finish Carpenters aren't fans of the inside corner trowels - it makes for too thick in corners making the baseboards trim more of hassle to install.

Are you "flat taping" the wall to ceiling joint (tape only on wall)?

It must be hard to blend a butt joint with only an 8" trowel, however what works for you is all that matters.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Get muffs. Trust me on this one. It's tough to get the big ones deep enough. The water pump is on top of the lower unit and needs to be completely submerged to operate. Covering up the intakes isn't enough. My motor took an unnecessary trip to the shop cuz of this. I didn't think my water pump was working. If you're concerned, buy one of the better set of muffs that splits the water into two sides. http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops®-Dual-Flow-Motor-Flusher/product/58531/-1113501

dazk14

Ensign

EZ - He's got a small gearcase lower unit. Lots of plastic barrels will fit.

The bigger gearcases will fit into a cut down 96 gallon contractor grade plastic can diagonally.

Here's one at a major retailer (Lowes).

http://www.lowes.com/pd_93813-60948...__s?Ns=p_product_price|1&Ntt=trash+can&page=2

If the link doesn't work, search Lowes for

" Toter 96 Gallon Contractor Grade Greenstone Wheeled Refuse / Yard Waste Cart "

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah I know it will fit, I had a '73. Those are BIG barrels we're talking about. At least we're making him aware how submerged it needs to be. That might be more than he'd want to haul to and fill at the sellers place so I figured muffs would be better.

64osby

Admiral

Well you guys sure know how to do it big when it comes to tubs.

I do have an big ol pickel barrel that I'll get out when I get it home.

Now I know why the motor would run quieter, you stick the whole thing in water.;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd fill to here to be safe

DSCF2136-1.jpg

64osby

Admiral

ezmobee Thanks for the pic

I think my little tub will get up about that high. I was thinking that maybe I would use both. The seller has muffs and I would place the bucket still, this way as I'm testing compression my boots won't get soaked until the bucket overflows.

When I first looked at this motor it was on muffs, There does not appear to be an upper pee hole like my Merc. I saw a strong stream flowing out on the port side just above the water intake.

If I get this motor is there away to install an upper pee hole that visable when running?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yes no telltale on that motor. They often "leak" at the joint between the lower unit and the midsection. Not really an issue as there's no need for a water-tight seal there. However if it's REALLY shooting out there I suppose that could indicate a leak in the pump housing which could be an issue. Not a $$ one though as complete water pump kits aren't expensive and not a bad idea to do on an old motor anyway.

64osby

Admiral

ezmobee This wasn't a leak it was a stream like a tell tale - 1/8th" stream coming out of the lower unit, not at the seam.

ezeke Thanks for the link, very cool. If I pick this up I will be adding that to the block, I have it on my Merc 500 and besides cleaning the mud wasps out, or what ever they are, it's a great feature to see if you are cooling or not.

64osby

Admiral

I checked the motor over, lower end fluid a little murky, my Merc has been like that for years, Head does appear to have ever been touched, good spray from the exhaust, compression 125 118 110 118, a little weak on 3 if I have the order right.

Cold start required the manual choke, after that it started and ran great on muffs.

We agreed on my original price.:D

Came with 60's Larson 17' boat, very bad transom, battery, controls, tanks, muffs, trailer w/ new tires and new lights, plus a bunch of other stuff.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Thanks to all for the advice and tips. The members of this site are fantastic.:cool:

Now it's back to finishing my daughter bedroom.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The last boat that I took to the dump went in one piece. I put it in a 24' utility trailer and dumped it where the garbage trucks dump their loads. There are always bulldozers running around in that area, so I just asked an operator to let me run a heavy line from the transom eyes (the only area on the transom that wasn't rotted), to pull the boat out of the trailer. It took us all of five minutes to do that and the guy just ran over the boat a couple of times to break it up.

64osby

Admiral

jay_merrill
When I had called I had never discussed the "process" they like to use to get rid of the boat. It would be fun to watch a big loader crush it.

I need to do some work on pulling all the good stuff before the scrap comes. There are 2 nice fold down seats, air horns, bow mount fuel tank, glass, alum trim,all the fittings, lights, gauges, ..... some of that has to have some value. And I have to take the motor off.

Anyone want a project boat and trailer, It just needs a little work on the transom;)

Attachments

• Hurricane 10-31-10 007.jpg
    Hurricane 10-31-10 007.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Hurricane 10-31-10 002.jpg
    Hurricane 10-31-10 002.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Hurricane 10-31-10 001.jpg
    Hurricane 10-31-10 001.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 1

64osby

Admiral

Here she is, see pics. Once again thanks to all you who helped.

Model 135483 B - Serial J0001948. Can anyone tell me about the "B", I did not see this in the model #s when I was researching

I will now look for a Manual. I was looking on Fleabay the other day and I saw many manuals for all the years motor this was made. I did not see a 1984 Evinrude manual, there were Johnson manuals for that year. Would it make a difference Johnson vs Evinrude, or would an 83 or 85 Evenrude manual work

Attachments

• Hurricane 10-31-10.jpg
    Hurricane 10-31-10.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Hurricane 10-31-10 006.jpg
    Hurricane 10-31-10 006.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Hurricane 10-31-10 003.jpg
    Hurricane 10-31-10 003.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Hurricane 10-31-10 005.jpg
    Hurricane 10-31-10 005.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 0
  • Hurricane 10-31-10 004.jpg
    Hurricane 10-31-10 004.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Here she is, see pics. Once again thanks to all you who helped.

Model 135483 B - Serial J0001948. Can anyone tell me about the "B", I did not see this in the model #s when I was researching

I will now look for a Manual. I was looking on Fleabay the other day and I saw many manuals for all the years motor this was made. I did not see a 1984 Evinrude manual, there were Johnson manuals for that year. Would it make a difference Johnson vs Evinrude, or would an 83 or 85 Evenrude manual work

You should look for a 1974 Evinrude service manual. Forget the trailing B; it's for a factory run or change during the model year.

http://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.main

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974...20588591778QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature