Throttle/Shifter Cable

GaryO

Seaman Apprentice
These are the problems I'm having with my controls. Forward, neutral, and reverse shifting work fine. The throttle will only increase engine rpm/speed at 2/3 or more on the throttle and I have to keep making major adjustments to maintain the same rpm. The Fast Idle lever doesn't do anything. In reverse, all I have is idle speed, it will not increase rpm.

I'm beginning to think that the p.o. replaced the cables and have them switched around. Am I on the right track?

zach103

Commander
Re: Throttle/Shifter Cable

More than likely.. you can switch them pretty easily than move the levers without the engine running and see how everything moves

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Depending on the control you have there are different holes in the arms you can attach the cables to which changes the throw for what ever brand mtr you are using the control on. The po may have installed them wrong.

GaryO

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, that's what I'm beginning to think also. Looking at the service manual, it seems that the two cables are in the wrong position and were switched when they were replaced. The connections at the motor just aren't positioned properly in neutral.

Thanks again!