1982 90 evinrude Piston change

Craftsman_85

Seaman
Been awhile but im finally getting started on changing out the piston that blew its rings earlier this year. My only question is, Do i Have to pull the whole head to be able to split the crankcase? I have it broke down to where its just the plate behind the reed valves. I have every bolt i can find removed and was only able to get the top of the crankcase split about 1/16th of an inch. Don't wanna risk bending that plate seeing as a new crankcase assembly is 3 grand. I Do believe that there are 2 stud screws coming out the bottom of the motor and i have the nuts removed. But no ideal how to remove the studs themselves or even if they can be removed. Any help would be appreciated.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 1982 90 evinrude Piston change

Why not get an OEM shop manual before you wreck the thing. And yes, you have to pull the powerhead to separate the halves. I hope you haven't already wrecked it by prying on it.

Craftsman_85

Seaman
Re: 1982 90 evinrude Piston change

I'm sure that I have not wrecked it and I did not pry. Just gave it a few taps on top in a safe pace and it split right open. when it failed to move anymore i stopped tapping ;p. And i will be getting a manual, just cant right at the moment. Which is why i was posting for little helpful info. And it really looks like the front plate of the crankcase could slide off without having to remove the whole thing. But if that's what i gotta do, I guess ill just wait for the manual.