1996 Evinrude 48 Special

jerrygottago

Recruit
Hi all and Thanks in advance!
My 48 Special run ok at an idel but when I give her gas she will start to come up on plane then it falls off somewhat like it runs out of gas. It will still idel but if I try to give it more gas it just boggs. and as I come back to idel it clears up. Now I'll go thru what all I've done so far.(1) changed the fule water seperator. (2) pulled the plug out of the bowl on the carbs. and pumped fule through to ensure no trash was there. (3) checked hoses for cracks or holes. and now I'm lost what should I check next. Hope someone has some ideas for me.:rolleyes:

bigrockets

Seaman
Re: 1996 Evinrude 48 Special

Have you tried pumping the fuel bulb when it starts to bog down? Sounds like fuel starvation or delivery. I have the same engine. Had similar problem and had to rebuild the fuel pump.

mables

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also possible that the high speed jet or some venturi may be stopped up, you would need to remove the carbs and then take the bowl off and check the little pipe with the holes in it to make sure all the little holes are clear. Then remove the highspeed jet with the proper tool and inspect for garnish or trash.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

You need to rebuild and clean the carbs. I would get ahold of an oem manual for your motor and get a carb kit and go to work. This si the only way to get that motor running well. You cant clean the jets by pumping gas into the bowl. Good luck