1999 100 HP Commercial Evinrude question(s)

swheeler

Cadet
I had 'one of those days' yesterday. My very used 100 hp commercial evinrude (1999) seized up yesterday. It is time for a replacement. I have a couple questions.

1) will the v6 sized lower unit bolt up to a non-commercial Evinrude 100 of the same year? If not, is it possible to swap the tower housing and lower unit to a non commercial engine? probably grasping at straws for that...

2) I would like to keep the exchange of engines to as much of a plug and play as possible. What years use the same wiring harness?

Any help greatly appreciated. Or, if anyone has a lead on a used 100hp commercial, please let me know. I think this one is shot to the point replacement makes sense. The bushings are all shot to the point that the shift rod going down to the lower unit is getting pressure on it to where it is difficult to shift. Scott

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 1999 100 HP Commercial Evinrude question(s)

A V6 unit will bolt up, but the gear ratio is not the same.
The 100 Commercial use the V4 gear ratio in a V6 gear case.
The lower unit is the same as the V4 XL (25"), just different length on upper driveshaft.

swheeler

Cadet
Re: 1999 100 HP Commercial Evinrude question(s)

Thanks for the reply! So it sounds like I could find a used non-commercial 100 Evinrude with a 25 inch shaft and just swap my commercial lower unit onto it? Or, am I confused?

Possibly even a 115 evinrude? Is there a year range I should target to be able to use the same wiring harness plus? Sorry about all the questions, but this is fairly new to me.

Thanks, Scott