• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Needs some information about a Johnson 10hp QD-18

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needs some information about a Johnson 10hp QD-18

Hey guys, got my eye on a 1957 10hp Johnson QD-18. Been reading some of the more recent and past post on these series of motors. A lot good information supplied.

My biggest concern is compression numbers for this series.

What is consider excellent, good, ok, and no way?

The reason I like to ask you guys is because is because not all motors are the same and compression values vary with series and hp of motor.

Example: compression for the 9.5hp Sportwin series because of the low impact starter is 60 to 80's compression is considered ok to good.(that is my general understanding)

Any suggestions about compression numbers for QD-18 or any other advice would be awesome to get.

Appreciate any suggestion guys!
    Being cheap and not getting a manual will cost you hundreds or maybe thousands of dollars

Re: Needs some information about a Johnson 10hp QD-18

bump
    Being cheap and not getting a manual will cost you hundreds or maybe thousands of dollars

Comment

I think about the same would be good for the old QD-18 What's more important, is that the compression readings are within 10% of each other. I found it's best to take a compression test, once the motor has been running, that way the rings are all free and working the way they should be.
      sigpicVice Admiral Zephyr

1941 Johnson HD-20 (in restoration)
      1947 Sea King 5hp
      1948 Evinrude Sportsman
      1949 Martin "40"
      1951 Evinrude Fastwin
      1954 Evinrude Fleetwin
      1955 Evinrude Fleetwin
      1955 Johnson JW-11
      1955 Johnson CD-12 (2)
      1955 Johnson QD-16
      1955 Johnson RD-17
      1957 Jhnson CD-14
      1957 Evinrude Big Twin
      1958 Evinrude Fisherman
      1958 Johnson FDE-12
      1959 Johnson RDSL-21B
      1974 Tanaka 1hp (screamin' drink mixer )

Comment

Thanks 1946Zephyr,

Appreciate your input, but it looks like I will have to continue my search for 10hp motor. The guy wanted $250 for a motor that is not currently running, stated ran 10 years ago, compression about 75/75, tank(says its ok), and motor is in ok cosmetic condition. He stated when they ran it years ago, they ran it on 32:1 fuel ratio(should be 24:1). He was firm on the price, so my search continues.

Again appreciate your input 1946Zephyr

Comment

The most I'd pay for what you described is $125, and that'd be after I confirmed that the fuel primer on the tank was functional. You're likely looking at coils, points/condensers, carb kit, impeller.. possibly gearcase seals, prop hub may be weak, clutch dog may want to slip.. etc. You could be looking at quite a bit of money and TIME that could be spent fishing! If I found the motor you're looking at in demonstrated perfect running order, $300, maybe $400 w/tank.
          75/75 should be good. You can get different readings depending on how fast you spin it over..
          It's almost beyond the point of bearable how torturous it is to try to have any dignity in being a Vikings fan..

Comment

Originally posted by kbait View Post
            The most I'd pay for what you described is $125, and that'd be after I confirmed that the fuel primer on the tank was functional. You're likely looking at coils, points/condensers, carb kit, impeller.. possibly gearcase seals, prop hub may be weak, clutch dog may want to slip.. etc. You could be looking at quite a bit of money and TIME that could be spent fishing! If I found the motor you're looking at in demonstrated perfect running order, $300, maybe $400 w/tank.
            75/75 should be good. You can get different readings depending on how fast you spin it over..
            Pretty much what I was thinking KBait. I offered him max $150 if the coils were good and I didn't even want the tank, but I guess he wanted more...oh well, I told him to call me if he reconsidered.

Thanks for the information about the compression, I wasn't sure if that was low. Like I stated earlier, different motors, years and series have different compression requirements and I certainly don't know them all, so I usually ask to get some type confirmation or at least a consensus from a group of knowledgeable guys like you all.

Thanks again for your input Kbait.....appreciate ya dude!!

Comment

Well, 32:1 isn't a bad thing for the old QD-18, eventhough it calls for 24:1 It sounds like the pistons and rings are in okay condition, since the compression is even. 75 psi on both isn't too bad. It should be in decent shape inside. These motors are fully jeweled, so no worries on the crank and rod assemblies. Many people are out there running these at 50:1 without issues, but if they should overheat the slightest bit, the pistons have a risk of scoring.

For $250 though, I would want it running and ready to hit the water. I sell then for this price in top notch running condition and the buyer doesn't need to do anything to them, except rutine maintenance.

1947 Sea King 5hp
              1948 Evinrude Sportsman
              1949 Martin "40"
              1951 Evinrude Fastwin
              1954 Evinrude Fleetwin
              1955 Evinrude Fleetwin
              1955 Johnson JW-11
              1955 Johnson CD-12 (2)
              1955 Johnson QD-16
              1955 Johnson RD-17
              1957 Jhnson CD-14
              1957 Evinrude Big Twin
              1958 Evinrude Fisherman
              1958 Johnson FDE-12
              1959 Johnson RDSL-21B

Comment

75# a side is about the minimum I'd want. and for a QD18 untested I would not pay over $75 with the tank up here.

And the QD18 is not fully jewelled as seen in the attached photo so don't go too lean on the oil...
                Steve.

Comment

Thanks Sam_Ott and 1946Zephyr for further insight and information. I agree $250 is too much. Maybe I will email the owner in about a month and see if he wishes to reconsider a lower price. Unfortunately, the older motors are harder to find in my neck of the woods.

Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by samo_ott View Post
                    75# a side is about the minimum I'd want. and for a QD18 untested I would not pay over $75 with the tank up here.

And the QD18 is not fully jewelled as seen in the attached photo so don't go too lean on the oil...
                    Well.....with the exception of the wrist pin, which is all the better. The main thing is, the crank and rod bearings are. At least with the wrist pins being the old bushing type, you don't have the issue of needle bearings comin out and bouncing around in your crank case, like a lot of them have.

I love the looks of mangled metal. No two particles look the same.

1947 Sea King 5hp
                    1948 Evinrude Sportsman
                    1949 Martin "40"
                    1951 Evinrude Fastwin
                    1954 Evinrude Fleetwin
                    1955 Evinrude Fleetwin
                    1955 Johnson JW-11
                    1955 Johnson CD-12 (2)
                    1955 Johnson QD-16
                    1955 Johnson RD-17
                    1957 Jhnson CD-14
                    1957 Evinrude Big Twin
                    1958 Evinrude Fisherman
                    1958 Johnson FDE-12
                    1959 Johnson RDSL-21B

Comment

Originally posted by 1946Zephyr View Post
                      Well.....with the exception of the wrist pin, which is all the better. The main thing is, the crank and rod bearings are. At least with the wrist pins being the old bushing type, you don't have the issue of needle bearings comin out and bouncing around in your crank case, like a lot of them have.

I love the looks of mangled metal. No two particles look the same.
                      See, the problem is, the 10hp motors, pre-1961 are notorious for beating the wrist pins loose in the pistons. 1961-63 got the same wrist pin roller bearings as the big motors. For the older ones, I think they need all the help (oil) they can get. And I'm not so sure even that will help.

Comment

Mine gets about 70 on the compression test. I paid $75 for mine and have about $200 in it. The tank is important as the new tanks don't work.

Frank

Comment

Working...
                        X