cd voltmeter

mikevi

Seaman Apprentice
evinrude 1979 35hp 35952a
Bringing us to moderm times, the manual calls for when using the evinrude cd voltmeter a setting of neg 500 on the cd voltmeter, is that DC volts? for an autoranging voltmeter?
checking the charge coil for output,, when cranking, I should see 230vdc? or 230vAC

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: cd voltmeter

It is for a peak reading voltmeter, or what is called a DVA adapter. The power pack output is quick pulses of DC. That is why the meter has to capture it and hold it long enough for you to read. An ordinary meter can't respond fast enough or hold it.

The charge coil output is AC. But your DVA will rectify it to DC for a reading. The power pack also rectifies it internally so it can be used.

mikevi

Seaman Apprentice

ok , thats why I see so much ac there on a true rms meter, ok I make a dva then thanks

mikevi

Seaman Apprentice

oh wait, I have a fluke 87 with the peak reading button (max/min), am I good to go without the DVA?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

the manual calls for when using the evinrude cd voltmeter a setting of neg 500 on the cd voltmeter
Thats the old Stevens Cd-77 meter, good in its time
peak_dva.htm

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The Stevens CD-77 peak reading volt meter is still good today. Use mine all the time with good results.

mikevi

Seaman Apprentice

for the sensor coil test, they call out meter setting S and 5,, ummm ac volts? so far my power pack out put is 3-5 volts should be 180vdc,,, could it actually start for a few seconds and die with this power pack outputs so low? what is the voltage at the sparkplug coil? so I can calculate how much voltage I would have if starting with 3-5 vdc