1993 Johnson 50 Blowing Fuse When Loading it onto trailer

XoDiViAoX

Seaman Apprentice
The last 3 times i've carried my boat to the water it's blowed a fuse when loading it onto the trailer. I've driven it up and down the river, fished a while, cranked up fine everytime, but when I load it onto the trailer and turn it off, nothing has any power and the fuse has been blown. Any idea what the problem could be?

D

DJ

Re: 1993 Johnson 50 Blowing Fuse When Loading it onto trailer

Which fuse?

XoDiViAoX

Seaman Apprentice

It's a 20 amp fuse located under the cover on the outboard, in a small case on side of the motor. I guess it would be the main fuse, because nothing works when it blows. It won't turn over,I get no audible, and the power trim won't work.

My lights and pumps run off the same battery, and they all still work after it blows.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Probably a hot wire going to ground when boat moves onto trailer; I'd look for an isulation rub thru somewhere around the powerhead.

Haffiman

Commander

When driving normally, your power trim unit is probably above water line.
When going on the trailer, it may be submerged.
Check if any leads going to the power trim unit are damaged and shorts out.
Are you taking accessories out of the engine wiring harness?
That circuit is only intended for engine instruments etc and not pumps, running lights, radios.

D

DJ

Probably a hot wire going to ground when boat moves onto trailer; I'd look for an isulation rub thru somewhere around the powerhead.

Agreed. A wire is moving. Look for positive side wires that may be worn through.

Also, look at your battery. Is it possible the two battery leads touch?

XoDiViAoX

Seaman Apprentice

I bet you're right. I didn't think of this. It never done this before, the boat has been sitting 10 years and I had to take the electric motor off the power trim, took it apart cleaned the motor where the terminals were corroded on the inside of the motor, and I reconnected the motor back to the wires running to the power trim buttons on the motor and the throttle. Could it be water getting inside the electric motor(I thought I put silicone on it to seal it off when I put it back together, or just something to do with the wires?
I've been raising and lowering the height of the motor on the boat too, and come to think of it, I don't think it did it until I raised the motor.

That circuit is only intended for engine instruments etc and not pumps, running lights, radios.

XoDiViAoX

Seaman Apprentice

I forgot to write back on this thread, I sealed the wires off real good with silicone (the wires running from the electric motor to up in the motor) where I had re-connected them. Didn't blow a fuse last time, so I'm guessing that was it

ALATOM

Cadet

I removed the power trim unit from the engine and submerged it in a bucket of water over night. It works great under water.
I have inspected the leads from the trim unit and found no damage.
All accessories are on dedicated wiring straight from the battery.

ALATOM

Cadet

I removed the power trim unit from the engine and submerged it in a bucket of water over night. It works great under water.
I have inspected the leads from the trim unit and found no damage.
All accessories are on dedicated wiring straight from the battery.

Sorry i replied to the wrong thread