1983 Johnson 175 electrical problem

Ratboy14

Cadet
I just got a boat with a 175 Johnson from 1983 and when the battery is plugged in there is a part that emits an electrical burning smell and it gets very hot that it burnt my finger when I touched it. I am not sure what that part is so that is what I am asking you guys and if it could just be a ground issue? Trim does not work either. Please help :(

Also I took the wires you see off to clean them since they are all dirty.

Attachments

• !cid__0923001735.jpg
    !cid__0923001735.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 0

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 Johnson 175 electrical problem

That component is the charging circuit's rectifier that coverts the AC voltage being supplied by the stator (under the flywheel) to DC voltage in order to charge the battery.

First.... check the voltage being supplied by th RED wire on the terminal strip to make sure that there is positive 12 volts applied at that point. Reverse voltage will destroy a replacement rectifier immediately.

Hopefully you have a wiring diagram to compare with the wires connected to that terminal strip.

Ratboy14

Cadet

Took the part off and found that it had a hole blown out on the other side. Going to order a new one.

That component is the charging circuit's rectifier that coverts the AC voltage being supplied by the stator (under the flywheel) to DC voltage in order to charge the battery.

First.... check the voltage being supplied by th RED wire on the terminal strip to make sure that there is positive 12 volts applied at that point. Reverse voltage will destroy a replacement rectifier immediately.

Hopefully you have a wiring diagram to compare with the wires connected to that terminal strip.

Well its sorta hard to figure out what lead goes on positive and negative because there is 2 of each with no labeling.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, I don't know what your last satement means.... positive/negative, 2 of each? I'll see if I can find a wiring diagram for you. Hooking up a wire to the wrong terminal, even for a fraction of a second can be expensive.

(Short time later)... Okay, go here (below link) for a complete wiring diagram.

http://theboatmaninmena.com/images/82_83_V6.jpg

Ratboy14

Cadet

It has 2 leads in the boat to connect to the battery. We don't know what ones are positive and negative but we think the 2 with blue tape are positive since that makes the starter actually work, but that might just be right with 1 pair and not both?

I will upload some more pictures to help me explain with a picture of the broken rectifier.

Attachments

• CAM_0059.JPG
    CAM_0059.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 0
  • CAM_0057.JPG
    CAM_0057.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 0