Penetrating oils - anybody ever try any of those FREEZE concoctions from Loctite or

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class
CRC ?

Some guy even said he saw a mechanic use the CRC and Seafoam in tandem. The Loctite is advertized to get it -45 (45 below). I guess you can look at this as it works by shrinking things with cold vs expanding things with heat.

Anybody use any of these or both ? Again I am looking at a solution to help me take head bolts out of my outboard (90hp). Maybe they don't need anything but I don't want to find out the hard way.

Last edited:

54fleetwin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Penetrating oils - anybody ever try any of those FREEZE concoctions from Loctite

Hit them with a hammer and then use an impact driver to remove

bigrockets

Seaman
Re: Penetrating oils - anybody ever try any of those FREEZE concoctions from Loctite

you can also use a can or two of Dust-off or any of the canned air stuff used to blow dust out of computers. Just turn the can upside down and it will spray the liquid which gets to -45 degrees. Much cheaper than the Locktite stuff and its probably the same thing. Also chills a can or two of beer in an emergency.

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

50/50 ATF (trans fluid) and acetone. Someone or an organization did a test and found that was the best stuuf (home brew).

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hit them with a hammer and then use an impact driver to remove

I got an electric impact but it only has one speed.

Loctite and CRC make good products but it is tempting to use some canned computer cleaner and the ATF/Acetone (paintbrush, swab or spray?) which I have all.

54fleetwin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got an electric impact but it only has one speed.

Impact DRIVER not Gun, the driver you hit with a hammer.
Guns tend to strip screws, something a driver works very good on.
If you have a nice tight fit with the socket on the impact gun, try it.
However, I have broken bolts loose with an impact driver that my electric gun couldn't.

outlaw241

Petty Officer 2nd Class

one of the best on the market is kroil

54fleetwin

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is your new best friend
9990000032019611.jpg

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Impact DRIVER not Gun, the driver you hit with a hammer.
Guns tend to strip screws, something a driver works very good on.
If you have a nice tight fit with the socket on the impact gun, try it.
However, I have broken bolts loose with an impact driver that my electric gun couldn't.

More concerned with snapping bolt heads off. Already broke 6 bolts on cylinder head covers.

380voltz

Seaman

More concerned with snapping bolt heads off. Already broke 6 bolts on cylinder head covers.

yeah i use those freeze sprays. if its the same stuff they are for detecting dodgy electronic faults in semiconductors etc.

dude ... 45 deg C difference in temp is going to get u nowhere with bolts and corroded metal
now 250 deg C difference very fast (oxy torch) on a bolt NOT slow (simple butane torch) ... i mean fast temp change on the head of the bolt and then quench wld have surely saved the 6 bolts u broke already.

now u can keep trying new ideas and hey guess what u will probably keep breaking bolts.
I mean try new ideas on a piece of scrap ... but ... on your engines ?? noooo

dont try .... do it as its supposed to be done! lube and heat

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Heat,heat,heat and patience.

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class

How fast is "very fast" ? These are aluminum heads I think and I got 10 bolts per head.

Do you think that strategy would work on those broke bolts ? I got around 1/4" - 3/8" stubs that I can grab with a pair of vise grips.

thanks

54fleetwin

Petty Officer 1st Class

How fast is "very fast" ? These are aluminum heads I think and I got 10 bolts per head.

Do you think that strategy would work on those broke bolts ? I got around 1/4" - 3/8" stubs that I can grab with a pair of vise grips.

thanks

you have no choice but to try

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Take your time and let it cool down before you go to the next one.

380voltz

Seaman

thanks

yessss yessss yessss :D .... but because u broke the heads off might have to weld now for the broken ones if u cant grab that 1/4 inch stub. try

arent u the broken bolt thread guy? if not search the thread `broken bolt `... there is your answers from many ppl that hv been there

very fast is put the white flame of an oxy/ace torch on the bolt till its just turnd red and take off the torch quick and switch off. heat the bolt not the head. this shld turn red in few seconds.

take good safety measures please ;)

al-ss shldnt be so hard to remove ss - ss is hard
use good exact size sockets not sockets from soy sauce land.
to be honest i find it hard to beleive all bolts in a cover are so badly seized.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Heat does work best.
Leave the broken bolts alone.Carefully remove the other bolts without breaking more.Then take the head off.Once that is done you should have a lot more room to put your vise grips on the broken bolts

David K

Cadet

Patience, patience, patience. No matter what brand of penetrating oil you like, the longer is sits....the better your chance of success. Personally I like WD-40 best. Never had much luck with Kroil. I've used the "freeze" stuff.....better that nothing but wasteful. You spray for 20 seconds or something like that so the bolt gets cold but in the mean time you're draining the can of all its penetrating oil.

Find a nut that will slip over the the stub and weld it to the stud. The intense heat from welding often helps free the bolt and the nut gives you something to wrench on. Use lots of penetrating oil while the bolt is hot from welding. You are very fortunate to have stubs and not broken bolts that are flush.

Like already said....an impact driver will be your best friend. Best thing for corroded bolts and soft Japenesse phillip head screws (motorcycles).

Good luck.
Dave

I got around 1/4" - 3/8" stubs that I can grab with a pair of vise grips.

thanks

fishrdan

Admiral

If you want cold, get some dry ice,,, -109*F, That will shrink the bolts, not sure if it will help break them loose, but it will certainly shrink them. The good thing about dry ice is that you can put in the head of a bolt and it will wick down into the fastener, instead of blasting cold stuff all over the place. The bad part is, once you buy it you will only have a day or so before it evaporates. Oh yeah, wrap a towel around the ice chunk and wear heavy gloves, unless you like frost bite.

I've used in the past to heat/freeze press fit items, IE: ice on crank and heat up harmonic balancer.

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class

heat the bolt not the head. this shld turn red in few seconds.

This is a flanged head bolt. There are 20 of them. 10 on each head. Are they siezed ? I don't know and don't want to find out. The bolts are thru the head and into the block. I only have the option of heating the heads. I wish I could figure out which bolts are seized, if any and work on those only.

to be honest i find it hard to beleive all bolts in a cover are so badly seized.[/QUOTE]

I was care less and did not prep them in anticipation of a problem. My stupidity especially after I broke off a few. Should of stopped, researched the situation and come back to it instead of que serra attitude. Maybe now I am being over cautious. I have not tried taking off a one. j_martin is encouraging me to spray and tap them everyday for at least 2 weeks and then take a cautious shot by twist a hair and twisting back a hair, spray, tap go on to the next one. Come back the next day and turn a little more ect.ect.

I don't have an oxy torch. I can maybe borrow one but what about those butane pencil torches on EBAY the guy is advertising to get to 2000 degrees ? Only like $12.

54fleetwin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Butane pencils wont last long before refueling, just get a propane torch