Broken Drive Shaft 1973 50 hp Evinrude.

Pinion

Cadet
I bought this motor off a guy who hit a rock with the prop. This broke the drive shaft off at the top just below the splines. So with the lower unit removed you just look up the shaft housing and can see the broken part just sitting up in the engine flat and as smooth as glass. Question: how do I remove it? Thanks ***Update, removed the broken part see photo near the last post***

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Broken Drive Shaft 1973 50 hp Evinrude.

If the o-ring is still up in there it may fall out if you can pick the o-ring out. Otherwise, you have to pull the powerhead.

Hitting a rock shouldn't have broken it. People hit rocks with them every day. The rubber cushion in the propeller is supposed to protect it from that. There may be other problems, such as mis-alignment due to bent housings.

Pinion

Cadet

He said when he hit the rock he went to throw the motor into neutral, but went to far and put it into reverse and thats when it broke.

Is there anyway to drill up into the broken part and then pull it out with something?

bill lewinski

Seaman Apprentice

Thats hardened steel idont think your gonna be able to drill it.

Pinion

Cadet

How about some jb weld on the bottom broken shaft and pushing it up to meet the upper broken shaft, then letting it set up. Think this would provide enough bite to pull it out?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It sure would be worth a try. Marine tex might work better. Just make sure you let it set up according to directions.

dwco5051

Commander

I pulled the stub of a broken axle shaft out of a car years ago by welding a 1/4" welding rod into a length of 3/8" steel pipe. Covered all but the last 6 inches or so with an old piece of garden hose. Hooked it up to the welder, pushed it in till the rod was against the broken piece, turned on the welder and welded it to the shaft, let it cool and it pulled right out. Lucky I didn't ignite the rear end lube but I guess the Lord looks out for fools and 16 year olds with novel ideas.

Pinion

Cadet

Great, I'll give that a try and let everyone know the results probably Wednesday night.. Thanks everyone.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Dwco, I seen my Dad do that same trick many years ago and I know it works but I didn't know if I should have posted it here or not. But I know it works. The reason being if your using a stick welder around an outboard you have to take in consideration all the electronics on the mtr and with a stick welder those stray currents can sometimes go anywhere and really screw up things.

dwco5051

Commander

Dwco, I seen my Dad do that same trick many years ago and I know it works but I didn't know if I should have posted it here or not. But I know it works. The reason being if your using a stick welder around an outboard you have to take in consideration all the electronics on the mtr and with a stick welder those stray currents can sometimes go anywhere and really screw up things.

You make a good point about screwing up electronics. I came from the generation that set spark plug gap with a dime and the points with a matchbook cover. Thought the world had passed me by when I got '55 a Plymouth with dual points :)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When I was 16 we used to set the points on our Model A Fords with a thin dime.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

You make a good point about screwing up electronics. I came from the generation that set spark plug gap with a dime and the points with a matchbook cover. Thought the world had passed me by when I got '55 a Plymouth with dual points :)

Dual points? How high tech is that. Things just keep getting darned more confusing!

bill lewinski

Seaman Apprentice

And how many people out there are wondering what points are let alone condensors or timing marks

Pinion

Cadet

JB Weld has been applied and is now setting up. Will attempt removal tomorrow night. I will post then to let everyone know the results.

Pinion

Cadet

Sorry to report JB Weld was not strong enough to pull out the broken drive shaft from the powerhead. Anyone have any estimates on how much this repair should cost at a shop. pulling out the broken piece and then installing the new drive shaft. Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.

Pinion

Cadet

SUCCESS!!!! Removed the exhaust housing from the powerhead. Then I was able to drill into the broken spline section with a 1/4" dia. drill bit. I then screwed a 6" long 5/16 dia. lag bolt into it. After that it pulled right out!!
See photo attached..

Attachments

• SDC11955.jpg
    SDC11955.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 0

Vanover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congrats, Cool idea bud. Now it wont cost you anything.