• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

ignition switch wiring diagrams

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition switch wiring diagrams

THIS IS ONLY FOR CONTROLS WITH THE RED HARNESS PLUG.

switch wiring: these have been supplied by many contributing members.
    thanks to all of them.

the far right diagram is for jumping the starter solenoid, with RED harness unplugged.
    Attached Files
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Re: ignition switch wiring diagrams

Im not sure what you mean by red harness plug. I have a 2001 Johnson 115hp outboard. It turns over great but does not start. when i got the motor the rectifier and power packs have been replaced. Before I put any more into this, I'd like to know if anyone has had this problem or what I should look for. I think it is a simple electrical problem. No spark at the plugs with a spark plug checker. next are the coils. they look worn. hoping the coils are what is causing this.
    The repairs done did not solve the problem. I have the key and
    lanyard. Yes, key is in ignition. haha. Any other thing that acts like the kill switch I should look for? What is the most common things I should check?
    I can figure stuff out, have a manual but still have no spark. Again, when i got the motor the power packs and relay were replaced. could the ignition switch be the problem? the black/yellow kill wire has another wire in the same plug to the power pack. i pulled it but, it did not spark again. i cannot disconnect just one of them since the plug has both wires in it. i just want to get spark to the plugs and i'm confident the engine will start. i have a manual but it is not clear what to do because it doesnt show locations of the components. just diagrams without pictures.

i need to know how to trace from switch down the line or back from the starter i guess. i'm not real good at this stuff either. But someone helping me in locating the components (grounds,etc.) will help me.\
    thx ray

Comment

This is way my '75 115 Johnnie works and the diagrams above are consistant with mine.

The kill circuit takes primary voltage from the engine to the ignition switch. The igniton switch grounds the primary voltage to kill the engine. The primary voltage is not battery dependent, it is generated in the engine. The kill switch, too, grounds the primary power.

Thus, any ground in the wiring between the engine and the switch will drain current and no secondary volt will be generated. Removing the ignition wiring from the power pack will allow the engine to start if there is a problem in this circuit. However, you will have to rig a temp ground wire to touch to the terminal to kill the engine or cut off the air or fuel. Or use and ohm meter to check for grounds.

The kill switch circuit by passes the ignition switch wire to ground. Could be a problem here to if a errant ground exists.

Again, on mine, the primary voltage to the ignition switch is something like 300 volts and will give you a smart tingle, I know. Thought I was hit with spark voltage. So, it is pretty easy for it to find a ground if the circuits are not well insulated or track past dirty/wet/loose teminals.

Comment

Oh, the red terminal.

Well mine is black but looks pretty much like Tashasdaddy's pictures. Mine is located just aft the of the starter and is bracketed to the powerhead.

Comment

Is there one out there for the 3 plug and not the red plug?
          17' Dusky Center Console 115 evinrude
          17' Larson Cruiser 50 evinrude
          20' CC Bayliner 2103? 125 force
          18' Seafox CC 90 Optimax

Comment

3 plug ???? Do you mean System Check wiring harness ??? If that's it you need a wiring diagram from 1996 and up.

Comment

A 2001 does not have a red or black plug, it has grey "Deutsch" connectors. Disconnect the main connector on port side(has blk/yel wire in it) Remove spark plugs and install gap tester,jumper the hot(red) to the yel/red on soleniod on bottom of starter and see if it fires. If not, reinstall the main connector and remove the left connector on pack and retest. If it fires you have a wiring problem with shift intrupter or pinched/shorted blk/yel from pack to connector. If you still have no fire you have a problem with optical eye,power coil,stator or pack.,time to invest ina good ohmmeter!!!
              When in doubt,Trim it out!!!
              Business Owner & Certifed Technician
              Boats I own & use
              20ft Javlin w/250 Junkrude
              17ft Bullet w/200 Merc (SOLD!!)
              13ft Allison w/150 I-6
              17ft Hydra-Sport 175GT
              15ft Allison w/75 Stinger(project)
              14 x 48 Drifter with 1100SS Merc

Comment

thanks for the info. i'll try this procedure out and let you know what happend.

have a great one!

Ray

Comment

Here is the wiring harness for the 1996 and later motors - the wire colors are the same as the earlier models with the round red engine connector

Comment

thanks for the diagram. i'll try and match it up to the top of the motor and the switch. I am not sure what switch to order for the ignition on this thing. I assume a 5-position switch but there are 6 terminals on this switch. Ground is #6? Also i dont know really what i'm looking at just viewing this diagram but i'll give it a shot.

ray

Comment

Originally posted by rrb6699 View Post
                      I am not sure what switch to order for the ignition on this thing.
                      Why not pick up the correct switch by going through a dealer?

Comment

do you have the diagram for the yellow plug i have a 1972 evinrude 65 hp.

thanks

Comment

This thread is almost a year old. Start your own thread.

"Please do not drag up old threads. You will be waiting a long time for a reply from TD."

A very long time ...
                          Jim

===============================
                          I don't respond to Private Messages PM's that are motor questions.

For basic information on a wide range of topics, see Top Secret File
                          Link: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

OEM shop manual: outboardbooks.com or Ebay

Comment

Do you have an ignition switch wiring diagram for 71 johnson? Specifically 60ESL71c? Been putting something like what you have together, but its taking time.

Comment

Please do not drag up old threads. You will be waiting a long time for a reply from TD.
                              Please no PMs. My mailbox is full anyway......

Comment

Working...
                              X