1982 Johnson V4 90 Wiring Harness

mitchellbm

Recruit
I moved my control box forward and had to extend my external wiring harness. I was in a hurry and didnt lable which plug went to where. Can any one help me figure this out? I have the main battery cable running to the batter and a bundle of wires with two plugs coming out. The control box has one plug on it? Please help! when i hook it up, the rectifier clicks and thats it.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 Johnson V4 90 Wiring Harness

Typically on those boxes, you will have the main red plug, which will connect to the other red plug under the engine cowling, next to the starter. You may also have a power trim harness (4 wire) connector which will run from the control box pigtail back to the engine trim box which may be mounted under the rear splashwell of the boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i take it you cut harness, and spliced. which end did you cut? post is unclear. pictures would help. did you match the wire colors, when splicing?

Attachments

• overallSwitch.jpg
    overallSwitch.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ignition wiring.jpg
    ignition wiring.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 0

mitchellbm

Recruit

Tashadaddy,

I spliced into the boatside of harness I didnt touch anything under the cowl. This is a 2000 Lowe 1960 duck boat with a 1982 Johnson V4 90 hp with tilt/trim. i put the tilt/trim relay ,box under the console and it works fine. The boatside harness has a male plug with Red/Yellow(starter), Red/Violet(12v+), Black(ground), Black/Yellow(kill switch), Violet/White(choke?/Primer solenoid), Violet(Battery Voltage in run or start from ignition switch). The control box has the female plug with matching wires. This plug is pig tailed into another plug but after reading, this plug appears to be for gauges, ACC, Tempuratre buzzer, etc. After reading many issue similiar to mine, i wonder if i blew my ignition fuse? :) ASAP, i plan on checking it out. is there a fuse i the control box or just under the cowl?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You should have two inline clear glass fuses in that system. One is inside the power trim elelctrical box, the other is in the main wiring harness of the engine. The engine one is close to the starter on the port side of the engine. Look for a red connector in the wire harnesses. The fuse is inside.