Gas to oil ratio 87' 15hp Evinrude Acumix

A.Schrader

Cadet
A while back I re-built the carb., replace fuel line and filter because the engine stalled out on throttle up (E Gas Problem rotting the fuel line). The original gas tank was a VRO and was replaced w/ a standard 6 Gal. The engine has 100:1 for the ratio. It was suggested that since I was using a different gas tank to now mix @ 50:1. End result, the engine runs slower and the spark plugs have oil deposits. I was thinking about going a little leaner, maybe 75:1 or do you think I should go to 100:1 as indicated on the engine? Also I am not sure what the black knob by the recoil starter is for but when I played with it to go what I am thinking is leaner the engine starts to stalls

Rick.

Captain
Re: Gas to oil ratio 87' 15hp Evinrude Acumix

Your year was originally (by factory) to run at 100/1 Later they rescinded that and recommended 50/1. You should remove the 100/1 sticker and use 50/1 always. Not sure if your asking about the slow speed needle of the slow idle adjuster on the port side. Have a look here and let us know which part your referring to. Best of luck. Rick.

http://epc.brp.com/SiteMods/BRP_Public/BRP_Public_Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/Index.aspx

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Gas to oil ratio 87' 15hp Evinrude Acumix

The knob on the front is the slow speed mixture adjustment

If the needle has been correctly adjusted it should normally be set in the middle of its adjustment range. Turning it clockwise will weaken the mixture, counter clockwise will enrich the mixture.

If necessary the needle setting can be checked and adjusted by following Joe Reeves' instructions for carb needle adjustment on the "Engine FAQs" board

using the correct plugs Champion QL77JC4 gapped at 0.030"?

Not using NGK resistor plugs such as BR7HS ???

BTW Acumix is not the same as VRO!