1965 33hp evinrude ski twin water pump prob.

rosgood14

Seaman
i just bought this motor and it starts up and runs great. i noticed that the bottom exhaust had some water coming out of it like it should but the top exhaust just had exhaust no water what so ever was coming through it and of course the motor got hot quick. i took the lower unit of thinking it was the impeller and it looks like new. i made sure the key was in correctly so i know the impellar is spinning. the housing does not appear to be worn anywhere. the tube is connected properly. so saying all that what else could it be and if the tube is clogged how would you go about unclogging it.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1965 33hp evinrude ski twin water pump prob.

Are you running it in a barrel with the water almost up to the exhaust outlet?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is no way possible that you are running it deep enough in the water and watching the underwater exhaust outlet....unless you have a scuba outfit. Get that thing down in the water.

And no, muffs won't work on that motor.

And no, the tube isn't clogged. You couldn't clog it if you tried.

rosgood14

Seaman

well guys i tried to run it on muffs at first and then i thought the same thing that you guys are saying so i stuck it in a barrell and filled it up way past the intake and still no water just exhaust. so what now

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Is it overheating???

F_R

Supreme Mariner

well guys i tried to run it on muffs at first and then i thought the same thing that you guys are saying so i stuck it in a barrell and filled it up way past the intake and still no water just exhaust. so what now

What is way past the intake supposed to mean? The bulge where the pump is located must be well underwater before starting the motor.

rosgood14

Seaman

yes it is overheating and where the little holes are on the shaft that suck the water in the water level is a good couple inches over that. the water comes all the way up to where the motor pivets on the mounting bracket.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

How do you know it's overheating?

Why didn't you replace the water pump when you had the lower unit off? Any scoring in the housing or wear plate is reason to replace.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Get the water level up to just below the exhaust outlet on the exhaust housing.

rosgood14

Seaman

the reason i did not replace the water pump was because it looked brand new almost as if the guy i bought it from replaced it because he was having the same problem and could not figure it out. there was no wear or anything that i noticed that showed that it might be the housing.

The water level cannot go just below the exhaust unless you want your boat to sink. the water level was over where the shaft seperates and i am 100% positive it has nothing to do with the water level.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

With the boat moving through the water you have a ram effect to the water pump. With the engine in a barrel you have to have the water pump well submerged to force the air out and prime the pump.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Some of the things that can bite you:

a) pump not assembled correctly
b) you missed the pump outlet with the water tube
c) the grommet in the pump outlet got folded over during final assembly
d) incorrect parts used
e) pump body not well sealed to wear plate
g) pump air bleed hole plugged
h) water not deep enough for the pump to do its thing
i) debris stuck in water passages

I suspect "i" is the most likely prospect.

rosgood14

Seaman

ok i will take your advice and try it. i will try and get the water up as far as the barrel will go. i will let you know tomorrow what happens