oil float switch

relappse

Cadet
I have a 2001 Johnson 115 hp J115PLSI and I am looking on line for a oil sending unit float switch and I am not having any luck. Does anyone know where I can find one?

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: oil float switch

Are you talking about the oil level sending unit with the float?

0173948, look at shop.evinrude.com under OB accessories and your year, they list the oil tanks and such.

relappse

Cadet

I have a very frustrating situation going on for the past couple of years with the oil alarm. I will try to be brief. 2 yrs ago my no oil alarm was coming on and the saftey on the engine was reducing me down. I took the boat to a mechanic and it was determined that the fuel pump was bad. That was changed and a month or so later it started doing it again. Took it back to him and he determined the oil float switch was not working. He changed it with one he had in the shop at a low cost. Was feeling a little sketchy at this point. The next season I would be running the boat for an hour or so and the alarm would come on again but the saftey shut down wasn't happening. Did some head sracthing and tried changing the thermostadts and it worked all season up to now. Now the alarm is coming on on idle speed and shuts off when you throtle up and also it is doing it when the engine is first started meaning it's not a heat issue. I don't trust the mechanic I first took it to so I am at a stand still with it???? Any suggestions????????

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I just relooked up your motor, oil pressure switch 0445037 is listed , not sure if that has anything do with your issue as I don't know anything about these motors, too new :D

Rick.

Captain

Is your alarm constant or momentary? Constant would be heat and momentary (on/off) would be low oil in tank, low oil flow or low gas flow. Best of luck. Rick.

relappse

Cadet

it is constant..it goes for about half a minute stops and the no oil light stays on. Like I said if I throtle up the light goes off and it runs fine and as soon as I bring it down to idle it goes off again after a couple of minutes. I know it is getting oil you can smell it and see it. my oil tank is full too.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know what was going on w/ your earlier problems, because I don't believe the oil-related alarms cut back the RPMs. That would be an overheat.

If you're getting the no oil alarm, I can't see why that would related to the float switch in the tank. A bad float switch would give you a Low oil alarm, a different sensor than the No Oil alarm which is at the pump itself.

Have you read this article? It's a good primer on the system. continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/​VRO.html

If you're getting a no oil alarm that goes away when you throttle up, and your VRO/OMS pump is pretty new and in good shape, you then need to check the oil supply system because something is restricting the oil flow to the pump. Look from top to bottm, from the pump to the tank. Look for possible air leaks, any kinks or restrictions in the oil line, inspect the line and tank pick up.

Also, if you're uncertain at all about the oil supply, run premix 50:1 in your fuel tank until you get it straightened out. That way you wont' harm your engine for lack of oil. And, then do a oil consumption check - mark the oil tank at the level of the oil and fill your fuel tank. Run 5-10 gallons through it, and measure exactly how much fuel and oil you've used.

By the way the intermittent alarm Rick was mentioning is for the older VRO/OMS systems before the system check came on line. The older system didn't have a light telling you which alarm was sounding, the pattern of the alarm told you. Your system has an alarm accompanied by a dashboard light that tells you what the proble is, right?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Your description of your alarms over the years is confusing.

A float switch for your oil tank will not fix a NO OIL warning.

If you had thermostat, water pump, or some other overheating problem you would get a HOT or a TEMP warning light, depending on your gauge, plus the motor would slow down to about 2500 rpm.

A NO OIL warning light is serious and should be checked out ASAP and mix your fuel 50:1 to be on the safe side for now. A NO OIL light does not slow the motor down.

IF you don't trust your mechanic, find another dealer or call the factory customer service dept. for suggestions.

relappse

Cadet

thanks for the replies... I have read about a filter screen in the oil tank and I am going to check that, but how do you check the line for leaks? there is no oil residue showing anywhere and the primer bulb is hard. Is there a trick for finding a leak?...thanks..another thing that has me puzzled is the engine isn't even warmed up when the alarm goes off so I'm thinking not an overheat? but oil restriction makes sense if it is doing it at idle speed and not cruising speed. At cruising speed it would really be over heating right?

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

thanks for the replies... I have read about a filter screen in the oil tank and I am going to check that, but how do you check the line for leaks? there is no oil residue showing anywhere and the primer bulb is hard. Is there a trick for finding a leak?...thanks..another thing that has me puzzled is the engine isn't even warmed up when the alarm goes off so I'm thinking not an overheat? but oil restriction makes sense if it is doing it at idle speed and not cruising speed. At cruising speed it would really be over heating right?

Check for leaks by just looking at the hoses very carefully and making sure they're in good shape and not cracked or kinked, etc. Also check all clamps to make sure they're tight and sound. Use the recommended type of hose clamps - the ratchet type, not steel hose clamps or ty-wraps.

I don't know why you think this is an overheat. Isn't your alarm telling you it's "No Oil":
it is constant..it goes for about half a minute stops and the no oil light stays on.

It is not an overheat! Plus, overheat drops the engine rpms into "SLOW" mode (about 2500) which you can't exceed until the engine cools and you turn the key off to re-set it.

relappse

Cadet

this may sound crazy but as I posted the mechanic put in a float switch that he had in his shop from a parts engine and I am wondering if it was even the right one for my motor. for one thing the original low oil alarm would go off when it was about half full. The one he put in said no oil when it went off and the tank was about a quater full. So the low oil never worked on it. then it would come on after running the boat for about an hour. I changed the thermostadts and it hasn't come on all season until now...which it is now doing at idle and cold engine. I am just guessing it is a bad float switch he put in.