1950 Johnson TN26 replacement float

Steven B

Cadet
Hi there. I have the plastic replacement float for my TN26 and have already drilled out the center to fit the float pin. My question is do I also drill another small hole off to the side to hold the cotter pin in place as well, like the old cork configuration? Thanks.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1950 Johnson TN26 replacement float

Yea, but use a small enough drill, to where the hold down screw will have good sturdy threads.

Welcome to iBoats.:D

Steven B

Cadet

Thanks for the reply, and the welcome. The plastic replacement float is the Sierra Marine #18-7208. It is flat on the bottom but tapers on the top. Do I want the taper portion of the float pointing up, or the flat portion pointing up to facilitate screwing in the small screw to hold cotter pin? Sorry if question seems silly but need to know the just of it. I installed it once with the tapered side up with the cotter pin secured to the float pin, but I didnt screw it down to the float because of the taper portion. Just would like to do it right this time so I dont have to take it back apart, again. Although, I'm getting pretty good at it as many times as Ive had it apart. Thanks for any advice or input you can give me on this.

Attachments

• Sierra Marine 18-7208.jpg
    Sierra Marine 18-7208.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral

is this a common fix?