1993 Evinrude 150 V6 SpitFire Getting HOT

I have a 1993 Evinrude 150 V6 Fast Strike on a stratos F/S it started to knock yesterday and got home ran on muffs it got hot but no knock. Impeller and water pump seems to be working, water flows through hole on back fine and cool till it gets hot and steams I turned it off it dosnt shut off i hear no buzzers or warnings. Is there any way to tell if the Oil injection is working. Carbs are clean and ran good since I bought it a couple of months ago. when in idle it ran fine till it got hot and started to puff a little so i shut it off. I have 25 Gallons of gas in it right now. Should i mix some oil in and see if that fixes it? If so do i have to disconnect the oiler or can I just leave it mix if not what's the best or easiest way to disconnect. I would like to take it out monday and am looking for a quick test and fix.

Re: 1993 Evinrude 150 V6 Fast Strike Getting HOT

Sorry said it was the Fast Stike but it is the Spitfire series.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

A good start would be to replace the impeller and thermostat(s). Just because the impeller "looks" good does not mean it is. It may not be pumping the volume needed to keep the motor cooled.

Any way to tell if it is pumping the amount needed because alot of water comes out. Any tips on replacing them?I know the impeller is not so easy. but what about the thermostat(s) how do i change those?

On Johnson's and evinrude's Isn't the outboard going to shut off if it doesn't get oil? wont it cut the fuel flow?

why no alarms or shut off when it gets hot?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1993 Evinrude 150 V6 SpitFire Getting HOT

You're asking for a blown engine looking for a quick fix so you go run it .
Get the manual and test all the alarms by the book.
A compression test will tell a story at this point.

oxbeast1210

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi mike your issue sounds similar to mine and i agree that you should buy a manual for your motor when you get a chance it will pay for its self the first couple time you use it! anyway thanks to the guys on here and that manual Ive gone from a motor that didn't run at all wouldn't even spark to one that will run and work great unless i open the throttle and then it will have issues like yours .
Please listen to the guys and do not run your motor unless you can find the source of the overheat . I believe your motor is probably pretty similar to mine
but to change out the thermostats I had to remove the thermostat housing which is above the spark plugs on mine there is a lot of little parts and gaskets that you need to replace .
the manual will have diagrams with everything in them If you happen to live in the Florida panhandle area we can help each other out
anyway if you have anymore questions let me know I'm no where near an expert but I've learned a lot from these guys

Ive done a compression test all seems fine. I was hoping it was a quick fix like just mix the oil and capping the the oil feed, but if thats not it i can take it. Any other thoughts? Thank Oxbeast1210 for the offer but im in texas and I will definitely take these guys advise.

oxbeast1210

Petty Officer 1st Class

How do you know its overheating? if you have a harbor freight nearby you should buy one of those laser thermometers where you just point it at it and it tells you your temp I'm picking one up today as per advice from these guys to keep one in the boat at all times also where did the puff if your getting steam out of the pisser and its hot its probably a blockage somewhere in the cooling system I finally found mine turns out that the poppet valve had melted so bad that it was blocking most of the water flow it was fine when i first start to idle but one it got a little hotter it wasn't enough water to keep it cool and it would overheat im not 100% sure that this the whole reason i was overheating but it definitely is a start now im just waiting for parts and the time to test it again