Accelerator Pump

RadarRick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 2001 5hp 4-stroke Evinrude
It has an accelerator pump which appears to be driven by the water flow through the tell tale. This pump is located at the bottom of the carburetor housing. A tube runs to it from the intake housing, and another tube runs out of it to the tell tale.
Can you tell me what the purpose of this is? It seems to be plugged with salty deposits and no water is getting through. I haven't wanted to run this motor until the tell tale is working. So I don't know what effect it is having on operation.
thanks!

RadarRick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Accelerator Pump

I have found another post from last year. A guy has(had?) a 15hp 4-stroke evin 1997 and he has the same accelerator pump. He also mentioned that the 9hp had the same pump that year.
Does this ring a bell with anyone?
thanks

RadarRick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

5 hp 4-stroke 2001 Evinrude

I had issue of no water flow from tell tale.

Eventually, I found that the tell tale tube passes through a copper(?) tube at the bottom of the carburetor/accelerator pump assembly. This tube was totally blocked with salt crystals. With my fingers, I used a small drill bit to ream out the blocked tube (without dismantling the carb) Now I'm getting good flow (not bad for my age)

So I've just dismantled the carb and found that there is no mechanical function between this water tube and the accelerator pump. The tube is just that - a straight tube passing through the cover of the accelerator pump.

This copper tube in the accelerator housing could only have 2 possible functions:
1) To provide an anchor point for the tell tale tube
2) To cool the fuel (passing through the accelerator pump) for improved combustion (only a guess)

What did I learn from this?

-certain 4-stroke Johnsons & Evinrudes, approximately from 1997 to 2001, in 5 to 9.9 models (maybe others), have this carb configuration.

-the copper tube is a smaller diameter than the rubber tell tale tube. Furthermore, it is a somewhat isolated metal part. Both of these factors make it susceptible to salt/gunk build-up.

-if you try to unblock by inserting a wire or weedeater string through the tell-tale tube, chances are the wire/string will not make it through the smaller diameter copper tube. You have to remove at least one section of the rubber tube from the carb assembly in order to ream out the copper tube.

-It would have been much easier (if I wasn't so lazy) had I dismantled the carb first. The tube is very easy to work on once it is removed from the carb assembly.

This all sounds long-winded and obscure, but I hope that, someday, this will help somebody else.

bigdeuce200

Cadet

5 hp 4-stroke 2001 Evinrude

I had issue of no water flow from tell tale.

Eventually, I found that the tell tale tube passes through a copper(?) tube at the bottom of the carburetor/accelerator pump assembly. This tube was totally blocked with salt crystals. With my fingers, I used a small drill bit to ream out the blocked tube (without dismantling the carb) Now I'm getting good flow (not bad for my age)

So I've just dismantled the carb and found that there is no mechanical function between this water tube and the accelerator pump. The tube is just that - a straight tube passing through the cover of the accelerator pump.

This copper tube in the accelerator housing could only have 2 possible functions:
1) To provide an anchor point for the tell tale tube
2) To cool the fuel (passing through the accelerator pump) for improved combustion (only a guess)

What did I learn from this?

-certain 4-stroke Johnsons & Evinrudes, approximately from 1997 to 2001, in 5 to 9.9 models (maybe others), have this carb configuration.

-the copper tube is a smaller diameter than the rubber tell tale tube. Furthermore, it is a somewhat isolated metal part. Both of these factors make it susceptible to salt/gunk build-up.

-if you try to unblock by inserting a wire or weedeater string through the tell-tale tube, chances are the wire/string will not make it through the smaller diameter copper tube. You have to remove at least one section of the rubber tube from the carb assembly in order to ream out the copper tube.

-It would have been much easier (if I wasn't so lazy) had I dismantled the carb first. The tube is very easy to work on once it is removed from the carb assembly.

This all sounds long-winded and obscure, but I hope that, someday, this will help somebody else.

thanks you very much for this. i have a 2001 15hp evin, and it REAALLY bothered me that i didn't know why the telltale is connected to the carburetor. yes, i found this on a google seach and registered on these forums, just to say thanks.

3rd World of Canada's coast