62 5.5 Evinrude not pumping water

DustyWaters

Recruit
Hello,

I searched the forum and there is plenty of cooling system help. I can change the impeller and the housing and I can take the thermostat out. All of my lines seem clear. I am not quite sure of the solution at this point. The problem I am having is my outboard just does not want to pump water on its own. I can stick muffs on it and then it will push the water all the way up and out.

I have replaced the water pump with an aftermarket kit, the water didn't want to pump through anymore with that one so I went back to the old housing and ordered a new impeller with the same outcome. I took the thermostat out and looked to see if it filled up but other than a few sprinkles flying out nothing happened. then poored water through every hole...

I noticed there are bubbles coming out of the water intake hole when submerged and running? Am I wrong to assume this shouldn't be happening? I was thinking that might be an indication of why the water wont pump on its own.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 62 5.5 Evinrude not pumping water

First of all, are you running the motor in a barrel filled with water. The water level has to be high up the leg.