1977 55hp Evinrude Timer Base sticks

Levi36549

Recruit
I have a 1977 55hp Evinrude that is new to me and everything seems to be in order except:
When I start the motor the timer base advances to about halfway in between Idle screw and WOT stop screw. Then the engine seems to want to keep getting faster and faster as the timer screw slowly advances itself and never returns without pushing it back by hand.

I haven't tried anything in the water since I got it running. Only on muffs in driveway. I have never used a timing light before. So if you suggest that please give detail.

I think if I take the flywheel off and clean the "gummy grease" from the timer base plate "brass bushing" and then re-lube it it it will help, but I'm not sure exactly what to do. The seloc manual is very vague when it comes to the timer base assembly.

I have never worked on anything like this, but I understand how it works. I have just never taken one apart and successfully put it back together.

If you have....Please HELP! Thank you

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 55hp Evinrude Timer Base sticks

Yep, that's what you have to do. It is pretty simple and self-explanitory once you get the flywheel off. It isn't going to jump out and bite you. Don't over grease it and use a thin lube.