Core plugs removal 1976 115hp evinrude

Status
Not open for further replies.

raveon

Cadet
How do I remove and replace carb core plugs in my carb. Do I clean with a good shot of carb cleaner spray?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Core plugs removal 1976 115hp evinrude

Use an awl or punch and hammer, being careful not to drive in through too deep, and pry it out. Others put a bit of grease on a drill bit to keep bits from gettting in carb and drill them, then pry out.

To replace use a hammer and the end of a socket extension or the like to lightly tap it until it seats and spreads.

I like to completely soak the carb, remove all the jets, clean with a couple strands of wire from a piece of extension cord, thoroughally clean, blow out with compressed air, rebuild then re install.

Check out the secret files, it is highlighted in my signature, and read a thread by Tashasdaddy regarding Carb Cleaning.

AlTn

Commander

the manual probably suggest drilling a small hole in the center then inserting a pick to pop it out... I use an awl in the center and strike it with a hammer...doesn't take much as you can see how thick they are...they pop out pretty easily...

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

How do I remove and replace carb core plugs in my carb. Do I clean with a good shot of carb cleaner spray?

Put a hole in them and pry out. Clean pilot circuits and blow out with air. Replacement plugs are convex and expand when tapped in center. Use sealer.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

I am glad to see someone finally asking how to do this. It is an important step in doing a carb overhaul and many people dont do it. Good Job!

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

sealer?

what kind of sealer?!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I don't use any type of sealer, if you seat them properly you should not need any.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ive seen sealer on some that Ive bought, seemed like they mushroomed it a bit too much and maybe failed to seal. Never actually used it myself.

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

Many rebuilders don't use any sealant. Good old fashion nail polish was the old standby or indianhead shellac, but ethanol eats it. Many small 2 stroke weedeater motors are suffering from welsh plugs unsealing due to the new gas. I now roll the edge through a drop of locktight and install dry.

AlTn

Commander

factory manual for 1978 9.9-15 hp..."If the casting opening is normal,apply a bead of OMC Adhesive "M" to the outer edge of a new core plug."...this is before installing the plug...this info is fwiw

Wantbeboater

Recruit
I’m looking for something resent on this subject. Drill bit went in too far. Do I need a new carburetor?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I’m looking for something resent on this subject. Drill bit went in too far. Do I need a new carburetor?

Please start a new thread if you want something recent.. This one bellied up 9 years ago.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.