how to make a shear pin for a 9.5 hp johnson?

adrn13

Cadet
Well I just got a old 1965 9.5hp johnson, I been wanting one since I was little. My grandpa used to have one just like it and used to take me fishing all the time. I remember that one day the shear pin broke and we had to paddle all the way back. Since that I try to always have a extra shear pin with my all the time. Anyways, like I said I just got a 1965 9.5 hp johnson and I been looking for a shear pin for it almost everywhere. I try few marines around here but the dont have them. The only places I saw it was on ebay. I had some bad experiences on ebay before so I dont want to buy it from there. So I was wondering if anyone knows how I could make one. I know that the shear pins are made of different materials thats why Im asking for help. I have a little experience working with metal so I have the tools to cut it and everything. The prop size is 8 1/4x8 1/2. the shear pin size that I have now is 3.5cm x 5mm
or 0.2in x 1.4 in. I pretty much just need to know what type of metal is to make it. but if you think there is something else I should know I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks.

adrn13

Cadet
how to make a shear pin for a 9.5 hp johnson?

Well I just got a old 1965 9.5hp johnson, I been wanting one since I was little. My grandpa used to have one just like it and used to take me fishing all the time. I remember that one day the shear pin broke and we had to paddle all the way back. Since that I try to always have a extra shear pin with my all the time. Anyways, like I said I just got a 1965 9.5 hp johnson and I been looking for a shear pin for it almost everywhere. I try few marines around here but the dont have them. The only places I saw it was on ebay. I had some bad experiences on ebay before so I dont want to buy it from there. So I was wondering if anyone knows how I could make one. I know that the shear pins are made of different materials thats why Im asking for help. I have a little experience working with metal so I have the tools to cut it and everything. The prop size is 8 1/4x8 1/2. the shear pin size that I have now is 3.5cm x 5mm
or 0.2in x 1.4 in. I pretty much just need to know what type of metal is to make it. but if you think there is something else I should know I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to make a shear pin for a 9.5 hp johnson?

The pin is a stainless steel drive pin. part # 0307949, available from your BRP/Evinrude dealer.

It should be replaced with the correct part, not a substitute.

Attachments

• SB 1290 Drive Pin.jpg
    SB 1290 Drive Pin.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 2

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Actually, it is part number 307949, available from any Evinrude dealer. If you insist on making it yourself, it is 3/16" x 1-3/8", (0.187" x 1.375") stainless steel. Sorry, Evinrude doesn't reveal exactly what alloy of stainless it is.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Double posting.

Willyclay

Captain

While experts like ezeke and F_R know this stuff like the back of their hand, it helps to know that having the original part number is almost essential when chasing parts for these great old motors. The link below is to a website that maintains original OMC Parts Catalogs and your motor is listed. Good luck!

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/278646/27864600001.htm

OldJohnson6hp

Seaman

This is an inexpensive, readily available part..you'd do well to actually purchase several here at iboats or at a local dealer rather then manufacture your own..

Part # listed above....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

a rusty nail will get you home, in most cases. but then use the OEM part when you get home.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I just bought a few last week for my '62 J18 and my BRP/OMC dealer had em in stock. Only like a buck and a half each or so. So I got 4. I'd get the right ones.