1994 Johnson 225 Power Packs Keep Failing

CoastalPete

Seaman
I had a previous post on a number of issues with my engine but since most were corrected, I am starting a new post on the issue at hand, which is why my power packs keep failing?

I have a 1994 Johnson Ocean Runner 225 (J225TXER-K) and here is a summary of what was done over the last 2 months:

1. Decarbed engine and added new fuel filters and plugs,
2. Ran clean fuel direct to fuel pump on motor (made no differance),
3. Pumped fuel ball under load and its tight, made no difference,
4. Compression Check ok (all between 90-100),
5. Checked it?s not the shift interrupter,
6. Replaced fuel pulse limiter,
7. Did the lync & sync (except could not do the WOT timing at 4500RPM's,
8. Cleaned & rebuilt all carburetors,
9. Checked ignition ok with spark plug light tester, (but since the starboard side was much hotter than port side, performed more testing), hooked up timing light when motor in idle and had good blinking light on cylinders 1-5 but #6 was not blinking, so tested with a DVA adapter on volt meter the power pack, stator and timer base, had some inconsistancies with power pack on coil input for #2 & #6 (#2 & #5 coils were cracked), had very low voltages less than 50vdc, checked both sides of stator, was ok, 155vdc, checked all leads on timer base, had more than .2vdc on 5 of 6 cylinders, but #5 Green C wire was 0 (manual says if less than .2, to perform a Sensor Coil Ohmmeter Test, which I have not done yet, thought if I had good spark on 7/16 gap tester and 150vdc on #5 coil input then I should be good, but now that I know #5 coil was cracked bad, wondering if that caused a problem with Timer Base, as someone told me that timer base problems can cause a bad output on opposite sides?),
10. Replaced Power Pack and Coils with CDI,
11. Removed fuel/water seperator to check for water in fuel, gas was good,
12. Replaced solonoid fuel primer top cover (had a crack and began to leak, probably from me pumping the bulb so often to see if fuel issue),
13. Checked each cylinder (idle & load) timing light, all had good steady blinking light,
14. Removed, cleaned & reset the carb floats on all 6 carbs again (had them very slightly past level, so reset to level in hopes to eliminate slight spitting when air cover off).
15. Cleaned stuck timer base, likely from salt water corrosion, engine working now!
16. Replaced both broken thermostats due to engine staying in quick start for long periods of time.

Went out on saturday motor ran great (except did here a very slight sputter every so often) but the RPM's would not go over 5200 and in past I should be at 5600 but this is another problem to look at at another time. On Sunday went out and after about 15min I slowed the engine down to avoid a big wake and the engine would not go over 2700 RPMs? Shut it off for a couple of hours while crabbing thinking maybe overheat or SLOW kicked in (no alarms) but same. Took it to a OMC shop and they say the brand new CDI power pack I replaced 2 weeks ago is bad, no output on cylinders 2, 4 & 6, funny, I replaced pack 2 weeks agao because low output on cylinders 2&6. They want to replace but I will have CDI give me a replacement. I am very worried why it failed so soon, is this common with CDI, I thought they were good, wondering if something on the engine is bad causing the power pack to fail such as a ground, rectifier or timer base?

What should I do, have shop remove power pack, mail back to CDI and have shop reinstall and then go from there and/or have shop check to see what is causing power pack to fail?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1994 Johnson 225 Power Packs Keep Failing

What the stator output to that side? The pack may be good just no imput from stator...

CoastalPete

Seaman

The service center said stator tested ok, everything pointing to pack, my question is what engine components can cause a pack to fail as this is the 2nd one?

jsalz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is your motor overheating?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Stator, timer base and defective coil.....voltage on kill wire will not affect one side.

CoastalPete

Seaman

No engine is not overheating. I thought the SLOW kill circut took out one bank, if so, is it the port side #2,4 & 6? Also, I thought I read that a bad rectifier can mess up a power pack, is this true? Both the stator and timer base tested ok, except one wire on timer base had ohms high at aroound 600 for the #5 which is on the opposite side so not thinking it could affect the port side?

Anyone have any ideas other than a bad brand new CDI power pack?

andrewdanner

Cadet

You need a new voltage regulator from the sounds of it. Had the same problem with mine, and replacing the regulator fixed it.

jonesg

Admiral

No engine is not overheating. I thought the SLOW kill circut took out one bank, if so, is it the port side #2,4 & 6? Also, I thought I read that a bad rectifier can mess up a power pack, is this true? Both the stator and timer base tested ok, except one wire on timer base had ohms high at aroound 600 for the #5 which is on the opposite side so not thinking it could affect the port side?

Anyone have any ideas other than a bad brand new CDI power pack?

I have a 1994 150,
if spark fails it can be due to the rectifier,
disconnect the rectifier , if sparks returns replace the rectifier/reg.

Not sure if that applies to the V8.