Outboard Johnson 225 HP - WON'T START

tepriu

Recruit
Hello,

We're first time boaters.

A few days ago after towing the boat for 2 hours to the Bay, the (normally) wonderful husband realized that he had left the boat key at home (yes, he had already received a good amount of lecture from various family members). People at the pier suggested us to open the control box and tried to "hot wire" the boat. Not knowing any better, we tried and it DID NOT work. We finally gave up and put the control box back together. We couldn't start the engine, no sound, nothing. One day before, the boat worked great. We took it out just one day before this. Everything worked fine, no problem whatsoever. But after open the control box and put it back together, we couldn't get the boat started again.

PLEASE HELPPPPPP!!!!!!

daselbee

Commander
Re: Outboard Johnson 225 HP - WON'T START

I did that once myself. Blew the engine fuse.
You don't say what year engine.

So, two places to look. Place one:...look near the starter solenoid for an inline fuse wired in a large red wire coming off the solenoid.
If not found, look in place two: On 1990s era engines, there is a plastic bracket mounted to the port side midway down where all the electrical connections are made. There is a plastic cover over it. At the top front corner of that bracket is a red plug. It is clearly visible. Pull that plug out, and check the blade style 20 amp fuse. There is also a spare fuse just to the side.

It is hard to describe these locations. Just look carefully and make sure the engine fuse is OK.

keefallan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Outboard Johnson 225 HP - WON'T START

I agree. It's probably the fuse in the motor. You probably shorted it to ground when you were "hotwiring it". Check it out......