Evinrude 60hp Timing Issues see Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadpcb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1996 60hp Evinrude.
I have tried for the last 2 days to get this motor in time.
I have tried the Reeves Method and I have tried the OEM Manual Method.
I am completely lost.
I am at whits end.

The compression is 135lbs across all 3 cylinders.
The spark will jump a 7/16" gap
I put 3 new plugs in QL87YC
BTDC is suppose to be 16-18
ATDC is suppose to be 3-5

It seems to me as something has moved under the flywheel.
Advancing the timer base to full advance position only brings the timing upto TDC.
If the timer base is in it normal position it doesn't even register on the timing grid.

I just can not get it timed is there something I am missing.

I have pictures below to show where I can get it to run but the timer base is way out of position.

This is the only position I can get it to run in and it is only at idle.
396518607_o.jpg

This is in the normal Idle Position but will not run.
396518589_o.jpg

Here is a picture of the cam follower and the carbs sync.
396518623_o.jpg

Chad

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: Evinrude 60hp Timing Issues see Pics

Hey chad,

Are you certain that you are getting fuel on all three cyliners? One cylinder down and the motor will not idle yet may run with the spark advanced on the remaining two.

As far as timing goes, all you really need to do is set the spark advance to 16-18 BTDC. The idle timing should take care of itself. In second pic, the motor should run with that position.

Set the linkage as you have it in the second pic and have someone crank the motor over for you. While cranking spray some carb cleaner into each carb throat one by one. If you find the motor starts when the spray is going into one carb and not others then that carb is not providing fuel.

My expectation is that you will find one cylinder lean and will need to clean and overhaul that carb.

P.S. do not run the motor on carb cleaner alone as it has no lubrication. Use it only for testing purposes.

Cheers, hope that helps.

chadpcb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As far as timing goes, all you really need to do is set the spark advance to 16-18 BTDC. The idle timing should take care of itself. In second pic, the motor should run with that position.

I have tried to set the full spark advance according to J. Reeves.
I have taken the Fast Start and disconnected it. Well I hope it was it.
Took the timer base and turned it all the way to the rubber stop.
I marked on the flywheel 13 degrees BTDC so it would be easier to align with pointer.
Manual calls for 16-18 BTDC so I figure the 13 BTDC would be fair.

Now here is where the problem comes into play.
With the rubber stop completely backed up against the head the highest mark I can get is TDC nothing after it. There's my problem.

Chad

RobF1970

Cadet

I have tried to set the full spark advance according to J. Reeves.
I have taken the Fast Start and disconnected it. Well I hope it was it.
Took the timer base and turned it all the way to the rubber stop.
I marked on the flywheel 13 degrees BTDC so it would be easier to align with pointer.
Manual calls for 16-18 BTDC so I figure the 13 BTDC would be fair.

Now here is where the problem comes into play.
With the rubber stop completely backed up against the head the highest mark I can get is TDC nothing after it. There's my problem.

Chad

Did you remove the flywheel to see if the key has broken???

juanjuice

Cadet

or it sounds like your power pack is miss fireing try with all spark plugs out marking each cylinder at tdc when each piston is at tdc mark on flywheel that piston # at the timming pointer arrow when you start it up and hook the timming gun to each plug you should see that cylinder # only no other number and it should be near the timming pointer you can do this at idle

keithwo

Recruit

Hi, New here

I have same motor with same issue. Can't set timing. Mine does run at a real fast idle (races). Can't get it to idle down. Timing light shows timing is about 90 degs off at this idle speed. New powerpack and new stator, carbs have been gone through. The motor was running fine after all this. Then all of a sudden for no reason it went to a fast idle.
Any comments will be welcome.
Thanks, Keith

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Hub magnet has moved on flywheel ,common problem with looper flywheels

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Keith. This thread is way over 90 days old !! Read the rules at the top of the forum and please start a new one.

keithwo

Recruit

Keith. This thread is way over 90 days old !! Read the rules at the top of the forum and please start a new one.

I did a new thread. No one has answered and I can't find it.

phillnjack2

Ensign
dont panic fellas, help is at hand.
people on here got me sorted so its only fair I return the favour, your engines will now start ha ha

Ok now your reading from someone who was about to kill the next person to tell me its easy and chuck the engine in the river
I spent nearly 5 days trying to get the bloody thing done and the more I tried the worse it got.
its dead simple realy ha ha .
Now first off you dont need to go disconnection the wires to even get a bit near.
first of all pull off the link rod to the plastic bit that touches the carb roller, now look at the top arm and notice there is a spring that sits on a lump of plastic that sends timer round etc., pull this all the way back and let it settle. should be about a 1/2 inch gap before it moves the timer , now for the rod on the carb, the rod just clips back on but you need a 10 thou gap between big lump of plastic and the roiller..once you move you see the throttle moves before the timer on these engines, trust me it realy does. when you move the throttle just a 1/4 inch up the plastic slide then the timer starts to move... Now to set the timing for max advance. get a bit of string and pull the timer as far as it will go, this is where you want to see 18 btdc, 13 wont even get it started, these engines do there own stuff electrically. put a white mark on the flywheel at 18/19 and then after disconnecting the fuel supply connect up a timing light, put the throttle to full and turn the key, under the flywheel is the bolt to turn and lock it in place once your done.. now you have got the timing sort of right, its time to connect the fuel and run the beast. idle will sort itself out . what you idealy want to do is get the boat in the water and under a load, a water butt aint realy good enough but better than nothing. now start the engine and let it warm up on idle, even if its fast dont worry., once engine is warm then recheck timing only this time it needs to be in gear and full throttle so tie the boat up real good or do it driving along and be careful falling over the back ha ha .
here is links to a couple of videos I made doing the timing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhxADLVIXCo
and here is another . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bneCvZ9gZ1E

any problems let me know and il see if I can help.. people here were great when I needed the help.

and if your using a seloc manual , burn it they are rubbish and very wrong,

phill

Status
Not open for further replies.