250 johnson oceanrunner vry low rpms

ok guys new to this and to this size engine...got the boat few mnths ago and have been trying to fig this prob out. engine will start up and idle no prob , no alrms except when initial start up and go in gear ok, but prob is the rpms will not exceed 3200 rpms and cannot get on plane m, i have cleaned carbs and nothing is in them ,trash etc, spark is good , compression is good , i did have to put on a new power pack , but still not getting good rpms, went on 1 ride other day and was only 5miles and it burned up over 30 gal of gas and i ran out on the water....any sugesstions am i overlooking something small? pls help i want to fish ...lol btw mistake ,,,its a 225 not a 250

Last edited:

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 250 johnson oceanrunner vry low rpms

What year?
Done any troubleshooting?
How did you do the spark test?

its a 97 225 oceanrunner, also as i was reading similar posts to the same prob, ii sounds to me as the s.l.o.w prob...how do i disconnect that to see if it runs up to operating rpms?

adg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i had similar problem with my 250 oceanrunner - turned out to be so simple as the fuel filter/water separator - could it be this would help you too?