Johnson Colt Fuel/Tilt Decals?

dthrckt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just about done refinishing my Dad's 1986 Johnson Colt.

Found a decal kit on ebay awhile back. I've placed the new decals where the old ones were but I have two new ones that were not on the motor when he bought it.

My question is, anybody know where the trim decal goes, and what should be on the fuel decal?

You can see a faint "50" on the fuel decal - I wrote that on before I realized it doesn't make sense in that spot (should be on the fuel pump side?).:redface:

Probably sounds trivial, but I spent so much time on it already that I might as well get it right...

Thanks!

Attachments

• 0805102048.jpg
    0805102048.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 0

dthrckt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Johnson Colt Fuel/Tilt Decals?

anybody? even a guess :confused:

Happy_Jack

Seaman Apprentice

I don't believe that trim decal belongs on that motor.
That is usually seen next to the arm which allows you to release the tilt mechanism to raise/lower the motor.

Your little motor has only a little lock on transom clamp activated by a cam on the exhaust housing, when the motor is turned to 180 degrees (into the reverse drive position), that little locking tab will engage the tilt pin and prevent it from kicking up out of the water due to the thrust being reversed.

So it does not belong on that motor, and if you want it correct, just leave it off (my two cents only)

The "50" on the fuel sticker...I presume that is to signify 50:1 gas to oil mix?
That looks fine, maybe just ad the ":1" part...

dthrckt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks, I think you're right, in fact, I think the fuel sticker may not be original either.
I think, like you said, I'll just put 50:1 there - just can't figure out what they were thinking w/ the symbols on it...

Happy_Jack

Seaman Apprentice

I think those point to the fuel line disconnect fittings on motors with remote tanks don't they?

Gas pump = Fuel,
-><- = connect/disconnect ,
arrow = Here.

Again, just my guess. Who knows what they were thinking.