how to adjust shift rod and lever?

MrMirro71

Cadet
Hi, admitted newbie to outboards but mechanically-inclined. I Inherited a one-owner 1972 Johnson 25 (25RL72). Lower unit was rebuilt in 1993 and used very little since. I cleaned the carb and ran it last fall with no issues. Last week I replaced impeller and reassembled. Upon starting it, it seems to be jumping into gear, not out of gear. Prop spins forward when it should be in neutral. I ran it for merely seconds in the barrel. I will check to make sure I aligned the lower screw with the notch on the shift rod. Assuming I did, is the next step to adjust the screw at the shift lever? Which way? I do have the FSM, but I'm not sure I understand the process.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Jim

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: how to adjust shift rod and lever?

If it was working properly before you removed the lower unit, I would think the problem is because of improper reassembly, recheck the shift shaft connector.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Just had a lower off the same motor, checked the shift coupler twice as I thought it was the problem, turned out it was the adjustment.

Just went through this, from memory of course. There is a through bolt on the bottom of the handle running parallel with the lower cowl and one bolt that goes through the handle and into the adjustment lever. Loosen both bolts and bring the adjustment lever as far forward as possible (towards the front of the motor) while keeping the shift lever straight up and down. Then tighten the bolts back down and test.

MrMirro71

Cadet

Wow! Thanks to both of you for the immediate responses! BK, I think you nailed what I need to do and I'll try that tonight.