83 150 Commercial Evinrude

JohnnyG1

Cadet
Thanks in advance. This is what I have a 2000 Rude 175 FICHT with a blown power head I know no surprise their. I have a chance to buy a 83 150 Commercial Evinrude. My questions are 1)does it have the same bolt patern? 2)are the control harness the same? 3)Will my FICHT prop fit? 4)will the system harness work? 5)What other things might I have trouble with?. OH the motor is going on a 84 Ranger if that makes any difference.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 83 150 Commercial Evinrude

Thanks in advance. This is what I have a 2000 Rude 175 FICHT with a blown power head I know no surprise their. I have a chance to buy a 83 150 Commercial Evinrude. My questions are 1)does it have the same bolt patern? 2)are the control harness the same? 3)Will my FICHT prop fit? 4)will the system harness work? 5)What other things might I have trouble with?. OH the motor is going on a 84 Ranger if that makes any difference.

Will you be installing it yourself?
You'd need an engine hoist to pick it up anway, let the mechanic worry about mounting holes.

But harness plugs are different, they changed in 1996.
New harness plugs are black, older pre-96 are red.
They do sell adapters.
175 prop might be too much.

Commercials have bigger gear box ( or lower gear ratio) turn lower top rpm and can swing a bigger prop for low end torque, so they say.
If you're one of those bass fishermen who like going fishing at 80 mph its probably not for you.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 83 150 Commercial Evinrude

The engine mounting bolt pattern is the same. Control cables are the same. You won't need the oil tank, as the 83 is a premix fuel engine. Follow Jonesg's comments.