40hp johnson super seahorse acquired... SEE PICS need help

hey guys .
just got a johnson super seahorse electramatic 40 hp from a buddy cleaning out his garage. he said it has sat for about 25 years, im assuming its from the 60s.
there is no serial number or model number anywhere by the mounting bracket or anywhere in that area.

anyways. i took a bunch of pics if anyone can help identify the year this was made. ive looked everywhere and i can only see a number on the engine cover's foam padding ( see pic) but i know thats not a model number . the model numbers have some type of LETTER in it, and all the numbers i see by the spark plugs are just 6 numbers .

well, i want to get her started. i know to do that i need spark and fuel to get it to work. the compression i tested on both cylinders and it was about 112psi each . i thinks thats good.

the issue is i hooked up an inline spark tester to see if there was any spark and it didnt light up the little light bulb in the spark tester.
is this because theres a kill switch or an on switch somewhere on this thing that i need to turn on to check spark? i even just laid the plug connected out of the cylinder to see if i saw the small blue spark by the electrode and found nothing . didnt know if i needed the throttle cable i got with it to be hooked up for it to be ready for spark . i know on my smaller manually-steered evinrude 6hp you need to have it on idle or slow for it to start. thanks in advance !

Re: 40hp johnson super seahorse acquired... SEE PICS need help

heres a few more pics too ..........

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class

the model and serial no. should be on a frost plug by the thermostat housing.

As for the year, it must be in the electric shift era. I don't know how the safety switch works if there is one, but it's gotta be in neutral at low rpms to engage the starter. if you're able to crank it, it should spark if the ignition components are good and everything gapped correctly

oh ya it cranks .... spins nicely. well, the steering belt broke up top but i dont need that to start it .

must be electrical then . all im doing is taking the cord dangling from the engine and sparking it against a 12v marine battery . it spins freely but i see no spark .

according to this website and several others http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/johnson/

all 40 hp engines of that era either start with an 'R' or '40'

my frost plug that i found towards the front of the engine housing(opposite end of carb) has the number :
J2715403

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Can't tell, it is either a 1965 or a 1966 Super Sea Horse Electramatic. They are about alike. Arrow points to the model number

EDIT: I was too slow. It is a 1966, according to the serial number just posted.

Attachments

• Model number 40.jpg
    Model number 40.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 0

got it ! RK28B
so its 1966 i think .

so about that spark problem... should i try to hook up the throttle thing or will it not matter for spark?
im siding on that it wont matter. . . and i should just sell the motor as is and not bother with it . besides. i dont have a boat right not... i just got the engine for free and wanted to hear it fire up ... but without spark.... no go .

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Pull the flywheel and have a look see, cracked coils, dirty points etc etc etc. The kill circuit consists of 2 black wires coming out from the under the flywheel, shorted together and they stop the motor.

ok,ill check it out today... snap a couple photos if need be . Never played with points but its about time to. I have another engine with them .

I'm assuming its pretty straightforward to get the flywheel off... I know the carb looks like you need to get a bunch of junk off just to get to the flange bolts holding it on!

Rick-va3rzs

Seaman Apprentice

I have one that looks like yours ! its a STRONG motor !! find the control cable that goes with it .. you will need it ..

and make sure that the alt. lines up with the fly wheel or you will toss that belt in no time and once you do that you will not have a charging system

I have tossed that belt on the water and allmost got stuck .. I am having a hard time finding the belt any more .. so be fore warned ..

again good strong motor .. and I will bet you a doughnut that the coils are cracked and garbage .. mine where .. replaced them with new , checked the gap and put it in the water couple cranks and she fired right up .. has been running strong for 15 years now .. .. you will also need to check the gear oil in the lower unit IF it is a ES ( electric shift) you need a different gear oil !!
also you will need a water pump its a nice project while you look for a new to you boat ..

bktheking

Vice Admiral

That belt is expensive however I have read where people have found the same style belt and shaved it down to match the width of the old one.

Dimensions I found from another post

68 teeth
.375 (3/8") Pitch
25.5" Long
1/4"-5/16" Width

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have the same engine, same year.

You can crank it w/o the shifter, but do you have the key switch? Is the junction box attached?

Do a compression test first to see if it's worth your time.

PM me if you want, I'll help best I can........

cleaned off the points, starts up now. thanks guys .

Meknes

Recruit

heres a few more pics too ..........

I have a Johnson 40 hp Electramatic and after searching in the so many websites, I found that they were made between 1960 till 1969.