35 Evinrude carbs plugged with oil? Need carb cleaning advice

MXHalofan

Seaman Apprentice
Evinrude model # E35ELCIG (81' 35 hp 2 stroke)

Poured oil into the gas tank and forgot to mix it around and the engine has stalled and won't start (was topping off tank, there was premix already in there). I am getting small amounts of oil on the plugs but no gas. (brand new plugs)

Dealer didn't have the repair manual in stock so I'm hoping to get info from the forum. I'm a bit intimidated by this engine (it's no weedeater engine, looks like carb is down by the crank and under the flywheel). Could use some helpful advice for pulling and cleaning the carbs. I know I'm getting good fuel to the fuel block, and the primer bulb is holding pressure.

Engine will fire right up if I pour a little premix into the cylinders. I tried this 6 times hoping I could burn off some of the oil but can't get the engine to stay running.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks forum!

Mntom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 35 Evinrude carbs plugged with oil? Need carb cleaning advice

Pulling and cleaning the carb is not anything to worry about. Just get a kit for it and take your time. HERE is a blow up of the carb.

MXHalofan

Seaman Apprentice

Pulling and cleaning the carb is not anything to worry about. Just get a kit for it and take your time. HERE is a blow up of the carb.

Thanks so much! Truly appreciate the help. I'm temped to pull the carb and go through it now. I almost pulled it off tonight. Tried spraying starting fluid in the intake for about 30 mins but that engine never ran off the stuff.

Pulled the carb bowl drain and nothing came out, not a drop. Got a mobile boat repairman offering to get me running again for $100. He's pretty sure he can stick to the price. I'll decide tomo. Thanks again.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Empty tank.... Never put oil in first. Always put in one gallon, then oil, then top the tank off wih the rest of the gas. Otherwise raw oil is forced up the feed tube and into the carb(s).

MXHalofan

Seaman Apprentice

Empty tank.... Never put oil in first. Always put in one gallon, then oil, then top the tank off wih the rest of the gas. Otherwise raw oil is forced up the feed tube and into the carb(s).

Good to know. I had the tank halfway full of premix (2 gallons) before I poured in a couple ounces of oil. Guess lighting struck so to speak. I should have shook the gas tank a bit. Total lapse on my part.

Funny how I over oiled my AC system in my truck and have been having fits with it. Over oiling FTL. LOL. Thanks for the help forum.

MXHalofan

Seaman Apprentice

Got it running tonight. I blew out the carb and there was some clear gooey stuff in the inlet to the needle jet. Engine ran ok after that. Think I'll need to fine tune the air fuel mixture.

Water pump didn't work. I ran the engine for about a minute and throttled up to test the engine. Some black smoke starting to puff out so I turned it off. Hope I didn't overheat that engine in that minute. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks forum.

Mntom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you only ran it a minute you should be OK. THIS picture shows you what things look like. Repairing the water pump is pretty straight forward.

MXHalofan

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the diagram. Very nice of you.

I'm going to pickup the water pump kit from a local marine shop Sat. morning and try to put it together. Totally feel at a loss when your boat isn't ready for the lake. We have been having so much fun with it.