1966 Evinrude 3hp Yachtwin Folding Leg Hard Starting

4runner

Cadet
I recently refurbished a 66 'Rude Yachtwin Folding Leg that I picked up for 100.00. Did the carb kit, flushed the tank (was really fouled with varnish), and now have two little problems.

1. Leaking from the fuel petcok/fuel filter: Apparently a slow leak from the threads where the petcock/filter enters the tank. Any gasket or sealant I should use to stop this? I was thinking a bit of Lock-Tite (not on the threads but the joint)

2. Hard starting. This has a fixed high speed needle, I've sprayed everything clean, pretty confident on this, and rebuilt with new gaskets, float, needle seat. I reused the old needle with the neoprene as it seems to keep the bowl from leaking better than the new needle. The float has been adjusted parallel to the bowl top (maybe a little true to it even).

Now to start it; this works the best: Turn the slow needle out 1 turn, three slow pulls on full choke to prime, and then around 6-8 hard pulls full or half choke will start it sometimes. I'm thinking it's vacuuming air somewhere a bit? The father in law remounted the carb to the motor and told me last night he'd used two?? gaskets from the kit? This dosen't sound right and I might have a look tonight and take one out.

New to outboards so any help is appreciated.

4Runner

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1966 Evinrude 3hp Yachtwin Folding Leg Hard Starting

Well, I can imagine it would be quite hard to start any engine standing on one leg with your other leg folded, a tricky balance situation eh? :confused:

You must mean the engine has a folding mid section or lower unit correct? Last time I checked, outboards don't need legs as they do not walk on water, thats a trick reserved for Jesus.:D

It does sound like you are not getting enough choke, or maybe too much choke. It could be that you only need to pull it once on the choke and then try cranking. If it prooves to need more choking, it's got an air leak of somekind, or starving for fuel, maybe the low speed needle is not set correctly. HTH,

Regards,

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

There should only be one gasket between carb and manifold.
The static setting for the low speed jet is 1 1/2 turn out, adjust after engine is running.
You can use some teflon tape on the fuel valve threads.
Have you checked compression and spark?

4runner

Cadet

Took out one of the extra gaskets. Was much easier to start for a while, though the throttle needs to be set to fast or better.

Any ideas re: carb adjustment required? Also noticed water's only jetting out on one side of the lower unit, the other is exhaust but no water so I'm guessing the water jacket is likely plugged with junk?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

When you cleaned the carb did you disassemble and clean all of the passages, did you remove the core plug on the top of the carb and clean those passages really well?

4runner

Cadet

I didn't remove the core plug, everything else was cleaned well. I'll try to remove it tonight but I'm nervous I won't put the new one in right.

4runner

Cadet

In the carb kit I bought were two core plugs both brass or aluminum. The smaller one seems too small and the larger one too large. Any ideas?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

How to small is the small one? As you flatten the core plug it gets larger around.

4runner

Cadet

It's probably close enough. If I have a chance tonight I'll remove it and blow some carb cleaner in there. Thanks for all your help Daviet!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Use a punch just a little smaller than the plug to flatten the core plug, do not go beyond flat or it will get smaller again and leak.

4runner

Cadet

Alright,
Replace the core plug, was a bit of brown in there so I'm glad I did. I now have water coming out both sides on the exhaust end (must have been a small blockage, will have to keep an eye on it). Now to start two pulls to prime and on third pull (low speed at 1 turn out) it usually fires. Only caveat is that the throttle has to be fully open (at fast idle, not the start position) Any ideas.

Thanks for all your help guys. As I using this to learn and build the confidence to take stuff apart this forum has been a godsend.

4Runner