2000 50 HP Johnson Water under Hood (salt deposits forming)

Hdog412

Seaman
Hi Everyone (I'm back for more advise)

I have been running my boat a lot recently (since you guys have been helping me solve my problems) and it is running great.

However I took the cover off and I noticed there is salt deposits starting to show inside the cover on the motor (one of the plugs (lower plug)) is starting to rust a little. So I am thinking that is it getting water under the cover some how, any ideas on where it is coming from and what to do to prevent it. I can post pictures if anyone need a better idea, I know my description is kinda vague.

Thanks and have a great day.

Regards

Harry

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 2000 50 HP Johnson Water under Hood (salt deposits forming)

Inspect the sparkplugs for deposits or steam cleaning.

If they're both the same and ok, slightly oily tan...

inspect the seal between the lower pan and the engine base, its like a window seal and can get distorted or outta place.

Hdog412

Seaman
Re: 2000 50 HP Johnson Water under Hood (salt deposits forming)

Inspect the sparkplugs for deposits or steam cleaning.

If they're both the same and ok, slightly oily tan...

inspect the seal between the lower pan and the engine base, its like a window seal and can get distorted or outta place.

Thanks for the reply,

I will take a look at it and the plugs when I get home today. If the seal is out of place can I just put it back in place (reuse it), or do I have to replace it?

I guess I would rather ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake, what is "steam Cleaning" look like on a spark plug? Sorry if it's stupid question, but I am not familiar with it.

Thanks

Regards

Harry