evinrude 9.9..what year

ewan777

Cadet
please help me i have an evinrude 9.9 model no.E10BELCA serial no.B023213 can anyone tell me the year as i cant find it anywhere and where i can get an operators manual ? :

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: evinrude 9.9..what year

No I cannot find that model number either. Usually it is possible to spot a single misread letter but not with this one.

I suggest you check it again very carefully .. using a magnifying lens.

E10BALCE by any chance? That would be 1989 but would expect another suffix letter on the end

ewan777

Cadet

no vic i have just checked again and thats the right number , made in belgium if that helps ????? any other ideas ?? am lost.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Yes the B indicates that it was made in Belgium.
BE that it is a derated electric start Belgium made model ( BA would be a similar rope start)

L = long shaft

then there should be two letters that indicate the year from the word INTRODUCES C is Ok, that is 8, but that should be followed by another letter from that word ... but there is no A in introduces !

Finally one would expect a suffix letter of no significance.
Might have expected to see another letter between the C and the A.

I have also checked the numbers of commercial models but there is nothing there.

Also look for a disc on the power head with the numbers on. Not always there for some reason.

Are you located in the UK or RoI by any chance?

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

OK I will be making some assumptions here.

As the 9.9s were only made from 1974 to 2007. With your motor being E10BELCA The first letter E = Evinrude, -- 10hp (rounded out = 9.9) -- B for Belgium, -- E = electric start.

Now there is not a letter 'L" in INTRODUCES code which would designate the first of the year code. However there is "U" = 7, C = 8 & E = 9 which would cover the years your motor was manufactured. This code started in 1979. So it it is not possible to be a 1979 because your second year code is "8" so unlikely it is a crappy marked C, so therefore the logic is it would be crappy "E" missing the upper ears, making the motor possibly a 1998.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

The machinists theory is good. But cannot find E10BEECA listed either !

Crucial though is whether or not that is an "L" or a badly stamped "E"

Is the motor a long shaft model?

If it is then the "L" is an "L" for long shaft!

If it is not a long shaft model then the "L" may well be a badly stamped "E"

Have to ask I suppose. It is a 2 stroke not a 4 stroke ?

ewan777

Cadet

hi i have cleaned the plate up and the no. is E10BALCRA any ideas ?

ewan777

Cadet

please clarify . what does ohm it out mean i am a novice help

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Yes CR are the date letters for 1984 C = 8 and R = 4

I knew you'd got it wrong! Thats why I told you to check it carefully! :mad:

"When in doubt, Ohm it out." is just his signature.

ewan777

Cadet

thanx a lot guys as you probably gather i will be asking quite a few questions and its nice to know that you lot are out there n thanx again

ewan777

Cadet
Re: evinrude 9.9.throttle cable .

hi guys am back . any idea where i can get a throttle cable for 1984 evinrude 9.9 outboard , online ?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

hi guys am back . any idea where i can get a throttle cable for 1984 evinrude 9.9 outboard , online ?

Oh dear according to the parts diagrams a 1984 9.9 does not have a cable operated throttle!
It sounds as though your Belgium built model may have the same system as the 8 hp models or more likely the system fitted to N American models from 1986 onwards.

take a look at the parts diagrams at http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=ca167a06da6bc6e5660b1a11cba6e517&catalog_id=0&siteid=1
Maybe you can figure it out but I think you will have to have chat with your dealer!

ewan777

Cadet

so do you think i might be able to get a kit to fit ? or is it curtains ?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

so do you think i might be able to get a kit to fit ? or is it curtains ?

Look at the two alternatives I have suggested in the parts catalog.

Try to figure out which, if either, of these is likely to be the right one, but then talk to a dealer of your choice quoting the model number They will be able to help you I am sure.