Johnson venom 225 bogging down on throttle up

bar79lee

Recruit
Ok, I'm sure this has been posted before but I'm completely frustrated and ready to let this boat sink! This a new to me 1996 venom. I've been out with the owner many times with no issues. On the initial take of from boat ramp the boat acts and runs great! But as soon as I take off and plane out to the other side of lake and slow down, the boat dies! It will start right back up but I can not get it to go unless I have some one prime the buld or ( I just found this out) push my electric choke in and off we go. I've had the carbs rebuilt and on the initial outing after, It ran fine! I was able to stop and go with no issues until I got to the ramp and it started again. Then it has gotten worse every since. If I let it sit while I fish for a little while I can get it going easily. I took it back to mech and he did an idle adjustment and showed me on the dyno that it ran like crazy! It was rattling stuff off the walls! No bogging until I got to the lake and it did it again. If I can take off and don't let off the pedal, I can roll around all day. It's just the initial take off after I run it. Thank you for your time and any advice is greatly appreciated! Have a blessed day

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson venom 225 bogging down on throttle up

When it won't accelerate unless you squeeze the bulb, the fuel pump is weak but the carbs are most likely OK.

When it won't accelerate unless you push in on the primer, the carbs need attention but the fuel pump is OK.

If you have to do both, the carbs and the pump need attention.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Oh, now you know why dynos are good for finding a high speed miss on land but are not much help in diagnosing an acceleration issue.

bar79lee

Recruit

Thanks forthe reply! As soon as I get home I'm going to check my fuel pump.