1973 evinrude 135 hp need help (headgasket)?

autohead18

Cadet
i had just bought a 73 135 hp evinrude it seemed to run ok when i took it out but i had noticed on my #1 cylinder that there is water beeds on plug and water geting into gas could anyone help i have a little exp on these motors but not much i had a 85 hp in the past never had prob had it 6 years i was hoping someone could give me the torque sequence 135 hp thank you for any help

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 evinrude 135 hp need help (headgasket)?

The water beads could be from a leaking head cover gasket. There is a separate gasket which goes under that cover and it could be leaking slightly around the plug. You could re-tighten all those bolts on that cover and see if that fixes it. What makes you think there is water in the gas...did you take a fuel sample from the tank, or do you have water in the cylinders? Water in the cylinders may not be from the fuel.

autohead18

Cadet

i dont know how water got in my gas but it was milky nasty lookin stuff i pulled the head and the gasket on #1 was rusty and black like exaust was leaking through got a new gasket put it on hopen itll be running better my #1 cylinder was geting water in it dont know but i think water was geting back to my tank maybe when i shut down for a float not sure how it got there i think i took care off it thanks for the help

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Click the thumbnail for V4 Xflow service specs.

Attachments

• V4 Head Bolts.jpg
    V4 Head Bolts.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Xflow Service Specifications.jpg
    Xflow Service Specifications.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 0