Upper Pinion Bearing (Evinrude 40hp) WITH PHOTOS

Intermediate Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good Morning,

I am working on a '62 evinrude 40hp.

Inside the lower unit there are 2 bearings - an upper and lower needle bearing that the pinion gear goes into.

The smaller needle braing, the upper, is frozen and is actually been ground down flat by the shaft on the pinion bearing (this is the shaft that receives the driveshaft).

I got a new bearing ordered, they were suprisingly only $15 (that's a first).

Here is my question: Can I use some sort of puller to remove and then install with a brass punch?? I am trying to avoid a $75 fee to have it presssed in - PLEASE help... this is my second post on this topic and NO ONE answered before!

Thanks!
Shawn T
Wichita, KS

Attachments

• july 20 2010 003 IB.jpg
    july 20 2010 003 IB.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 0
  • july 20 2010 002 IB.jpg
    july 20 2010 002 IB.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 0
  • july 20 2010 004 IB.jpg
    july 20 2010 004 IB.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 0

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Upper Pinion Bearing (Evinrude 40hp) WITH PHOTOS

Good Morning,

I am working on a '62 evinrude 40hp.

Inside the lower unit there are 2 bearings - an upper and lower needle bearing that the pinion gear goes into.

The smaller needle braing, the upper, is frozen and is actually been ground down flat by the shaft on the pinion bearing (this is the shaft that receives the driveshaft).

I got a new bearing ordered, they were suprisingly only $15 (that's a first).

Here is my question: Can I use some sort of puller to remove and then install with a brass punch?? I am trying to avoid a $75 fee to have it presssed in - PLEASE help... this is my second post on this topic and NO ONE answered before!

Thanks!
Shawn T
Wichita, KS

I got to ask...

did you bother to look at the photos yourself before you posted???

they are so blurry, no one has a hope of helping you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

helpr yourself first...tajke clearer pictures..take lot, then pick the best...

wait to hear the results

bob

Intermediate Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tip Bob, I don't know what the heck was wrong with my camera that day!

If you click on the middle photo you can clearly see the bearing in there, I am just wondering how to remove it.

Also the pinion gear photo is indeed blurry BUT you can also clearly see the damage on the shaft (from the frozen needle bearing) even though it's blurry.

Shawn

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Of course there is a special tool for getting that bearing out. Having said that, I have to admit I never had one. I had a steel rod that I bent and ground to knock it out from the top. Sorry, you are on your own in designing it.

In case you don't already know, needle bearings are always installed by driving on the lettered end. Driving on the other end will ruin them.

There is no big deal installing it. Note how deep it is before removing the old one and drive the new one the same depth. Use a socket, extension, and hammer. But don't tell the guy that faints when somebody mentions pounding on a socket.

Intermediate Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all your help FR, just glad to know it CAN be done.

I have several old driveshafts laying around that will double as a long punch, I will see if I can reach it up in there to knock it out. I also hope that it rests against a stop of some sort to help me determine resting position. It does however look like you will get a little bit of wiggle room since the gear's shaft appears longer than the actual bearing that it slides into.

Thanks again,
Shawn

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Of course there is a special tool for getting that bearing out. Having said that, I have to admit I never had one. I had a steel rod that I bent and ground to knock it out from the top. Sorry, you are on your own in designing it.

In case you don't already know, needle bearings are always installed by driving on the lettered end. Driving on the other end will ruin them.

There is no big deal installing it. Note how deep it is before removing the old one and drive the new one the same depth. Use a socket, extension, and hammer. But don't tell the guy that faints when somebody mentions pounding on a socket.

are you saying you drive it down, to knock it out????

it is in a smooth bore??

no step?

or are you reached down under the far side and pulling it up and out with the lip of your bent tool???

a universal bearing puller can come in handy many many places on outboard motors!!

maybe a $40-$60 investment...

bob

Intermediate Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank Bob, a universal puller is a great idea... $40 or more though, whew! I am headed to harbor freight, I will see if they have one. Will also check if they have a drain tube flair tool since those are also $40 bucks or MORE!

All Boat Parts: At least $100 each.
All Boat Tools: At least $50 each.
I wish i was born 20 years earlier when things weren't so darned expensive!
Ahhh, the 1950's - when delivery boys wore uniforms, guys wore coat and tie, and women were ladies.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It goes down and out. I'm driving it from the top with my makeshift tool.