1989 48 HP Johnson

JMack627

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I have been having the most difficult time with this motor. For starters it is a 48 HP 1989 Johnson, #J48ESLCER. It also has a warm up lever which seems to cause me more bad than good. The motor will fire right up when I get it to the boat ramp, however stalls out in low gears whether it be forward or reverse. That is not really my problem though, I can deal with stalling. My problem is the motor will all of a sudden not turn over sometimes, either after a stall out or after sitting and fishing. The amount of time seems to have nothing to do with it. I am unsure if it is a bad fuel line, or something motor related? I just had it at the shop 3 weeks ago and paid $350 for him to tune it up, say everything looked fine and send me on my way. There is also what appears to be grease leaking down my lower end from the motor after continuously trying to crank it. Any pointers would be much appreciated! I can't pay another $350 for nothing :confused: I am going to try some of the cold start procedures tomorrow but figured I would ask in case anyone knows this problem ;)