1995 johnson 70hp no spark.

youbincrankinit

Recruit
I have a 1995 johnson 70hp and I lost spark. I cheked the lanyard switch and pushed it in and out a few times and no spark. Can anyone help me. Thanks

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
Re: 1995 johnson 70hp no spark.

Bypass it see if it works then.But get a new one asap they really do save lives i know.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

If you "bypass" the kill switch, you will never get a spark. To rule out the kill switch, just disconnect it.

No spark any cylinder, your first step is rule out the kill circuit. Black wire w/yellow tracer, when grounded it short-circuits the powerpack, killing spark. Could be faulty key switch or emergency kill switch, or a wiring fault -- likely somewhere on the powerhead where insulation gets chafed and bare wire touches or arcs to ground.

Easiest to just unplug the big red main wiring harness plug and repeat your spark test by jumping the solenoid. This won't rule out short-circuit in the powerhead wiring, so you'll want to inspect it closely.

Note that if the motor starts with the kill wire disconnected, the only way to shut it off is to manually engage the choke.

This really worked. I got the problem fixed and was back on the water in record time. Thanks for Information!
If you "bypass" the kill switch, you will never get a spark. To rule out the kill switch, just disconnect it.

No spark any cylinder, your first step is rule out the kill circuit. Black wire w/yellow tracer, when grounded it short-circuits the powerpack, killing spark. Could be faulty key switch or emergency kill switch, or a wiring fault -- likely somewhere on the powerhead where insulation gets chafed and bare wire touches or arcs to ground.

Easiest to just unplug the big red main wiring harness plug and repeat your spark test by jumping the solenoid. This won't rule out short-circuit in the powerhead wiring, so you'll want to inspect it closely.

Note that if the motor starts with the kill wire disconnected, the only way to shut it off is to manually engage the choke.