63 Evinrude Crankshaft issues?

MCNPathfinder

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everyone. Kinda new here. I have a 1963 Evinrude 35HP. On my last trip out I seemed to have destroyed a lot of things with this engine. I fixed the gear case issues, but within the last few hours realized that I think the crankshaft is screwed up. The flywheel somehow got loose, broke that key on the crankshaft and messed up about a quarter inch of thread on both the crankshaft and the crankshaft nut. To me it looks like the crankshaft is going to have to be replaced, unless I can re-thread it and get a new nut for it. I have a spare engine, it's from the early 70s, and it's a Johnson, but it looks practically the same. In fact I swapped a lot of the armature plate pieces from one to the other. Do you suppose that I will be able to swap the crankshafts between the two engines without having any issues? I'm a complete noob at all things boating, so you may be thinking "this guy is a moron", and that would not be an unfair assumption. I know nothing about machining, tolerances, etc, either. Basically what I'm saying here is don't assume that I know much about anything boat wise anyways. LOL! Electrical is more my thing. Thanks for the help in advance!
~Matt

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 63 Evinrude Crankshaft issues?

... The flywheel somehow got loose, broke that key on the crankshaft and messed up about a quarter inch of thread on both the crankshaft and the crankshaft nut. ...
~Matt

Matt, the flywheel 'got loose' most likely BC it hadn't been properly torqued. Sounds like the crank and the flywheel were destroyed, and need to be replaced. This has the potential to be a very hazardous event. I would suggest getting an OEM shop manual if you plan to repair. You can try here for the parts:
Salvage yards:
sea-way.com
outboard-parts.com
laingsoutboards.com
tcoutboard.com
fairwindsmarina.com
salvagemarine.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)
trixieslanding.com Trixie?s Landing, Bayville, NJ 732-269-5838
americanoutboard.com
piratemarinesalvage.com/

F_R

Supreme Mariner

311356 crankshaft fits 1962-73.

Let that be a lesson to you: The shaft and flywheel tapers and keyways MUST be clean and dry and in perfect condition. Then you MUST use a torque wrench to tighten the nut to 100-105 foot pounds. If properly installed, believe me, they won't come loose. Most people grouse because they can't get them loose.

MCNPathfinder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the valuable input. I have a 35HP Johnson engine that looks almost identical, in-fact a lot of the pieces seem interchangeable. Do you suppose I can just take the crankshaft out of the other engine without having to worry about tolerances and bearings and such? I have a shop manual for the engine, and have looked through it a little bit. 105 foot pounds is a lot, and I can tell you that it definitely wasn't torqued to that much. The manual I had said 60 or something like that. I'll torque it to 105 though. What a mess. Thanks for the help.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Evinrude didn't make a 35hp in 1963 so verify what you have first before you go looking for parts. What is the model #?

Willyclay

Captain

Do you suppose I can just take the crankshaft out of the other engine without having to worry about tolerances and bearings and such?

The different torque specs are for different crankshafts; i.e. small and large, which does require you to worry about tolerances and bearings. F_R and Samo Ott can help you through any problem if you follow their advice. Good luck with that great old motor!

MCNPathfinder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Evinrude didn't make a 35hp in 1963 so verify what you have first before you go looking for parts. What is the model #?

I thought it was a 35, but maybe it's a 40? The model number is 40352D with a serial number of E05719. Does that help out at all? I hope I can get this thing going again. Every time I hear this old thing running, it puts a smile on my face. HAHA! Do you suppose I may be able to bring the thing to a machine shop or something and have them re-thread the top of the existing crankshaft and find (or machine) me a new crankshaft nut? I'm just afraid that when I crack open the engine, I'm going to find a lot of things that I didn't anticipate. I work IT for a living, and am used to the plug and play mentality, so far most of my experiences have been like that with this engine swapping out parts, but I don't think this is going to be the case for the crankshaft, I'm sure I'll figure it out, but I hate being in stuff over my head, it makes me nervous. I'll just have to follow the manual to the T.
Thanks again for the help everyone, I'm learning a lot!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The taper on the crank is probably wrecked, as is the bore of the flywheel. The crank threads are the least of the damage. Both the bore and the taper must be a perfect fit, and there is very little metal for any kind of repair. Both the flywheel and crank are likely junk. Your motor is
40352 40HP 1963

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Yes it is a 40hp, 1963. Post pictures of the damage but it sounds like they're toast. Those powerheads/engines are a dime a dozen, I'd look for a used one and drop it on.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you follow the manual exactly and ask questions, you should be ok. Be sure to keep the rod caps and bearings with the original rods, and be sure you put the caps on oriented correctly. Another MUST--use a torque wrench on those rod bolts. An inch-pound one is preferred. Foot-pounds isn't accurate enough.

Again, if the manual says to do something, do it. Except if the manual is wrong, as in the case of the flywheel torque. You got the wrong manual or something??

Con rod screw torque is
9/32" screws = 216-222 inch pounds
5/16" screws = 348-372 inch pounds