175 HP Evinrude Starting Procedure

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice
I just got a center console with twin 175 Evinrude Ocean Pros, not fuel injected. The previous owner said for cold start push in the key and turn to start, but it takes several tries to get both motors to start and stay running. Is this the correct procedure? It seems like it should need to have the thottle open for a cold start.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 175 HP Evinrude Starting Procedure

I just got a center console with twin 175 Evinrude Ocean Pros, not fuel injected. The previous owner said for cold start push in the key and turn to start, but it takes several tries to get both motors to start and stay running. Is this the correct procedure? It seems like it should need to have the thottle open for a cold start.

For best results and advice it's always best to post the model number of your engines.

I've had a couple of V-6's and both kind of required me to figure out the optimal strarting procedure.

For all engines, you have to start with pumping the bulb until hard. This fills the carbs with fuel.

All engines also require a good strong battery with good clean connections at the battery and the starter - you really need to spin that starter to get it to fire. Weak battery and / or corroded connections can make starting more difficult.

My older V6 ('82) then required that I lift the cold start, turn my key to the "ON" position (not start), and push it in to prime for a good 5+ seconds to get the fuel from the carbs up into the cylinders. Then when I turned the key to start, it would usually start right up. Sometimes I had to repeat. Sometimes, once it started, I'd need to bump the key now and then to keep it runnng until it warmed up. It took me a while to figure out that I needed to prime for a good 5 or more seconds before even trying to start it.

My "newer" v6 (1990) just starts much easier. I can usually just pump the bulb, then start the engine, maybe pushing the key in as I started it. It has a fast start feature which advances the idle when it's cold and then backs it off after a minute or so when it warms. I rarely have to prime more than a second or so, and rarely have to use the cold start.

Hope that helps.

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, d_boat! I'll have to write down the model #. I don't have a cold start lever, just 2 throttle levers. I suppose I could use the release button and advance the throttle a bit.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, d_boat! I'll have to write down the model #. I don't have a cold start lever, just 2 throttle levers. I suppose I could use the release button and advance the throttle a bit.

Yes, sorry I didn't think of that. Instead of the "cold start" lever, you just use the release button and advance the throttle a little. But sometimes that actual start procedure depends on the year of your motor, espeically if it has the fast start (or cold start, or whatever it's called) programmed into the ignition system like my "newer" engine does.