Johnson Colt. It is really a Johnson?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
My sister gave me this Johnson Colt to get started. It looks hardly used, and has no spark. Model is JCOESE, from what I found on the net that its a 1.2 hp model from 1989. Sound right?

Is this really a Johnson outboard or something re-labeled and sold under the Johnson name?

At any rate, it has no spark at the wire. I think it has points/condenser. Any idea where to get parts for this micro outboard?

Thanks,

Mark

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson Colt. It is really a Johnson?

In 1989 they only list a JCO-CEB, they list a JCO-ES in 1990.
Anyhow you can get parts at your local dealer or probably right here on iboats.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Ok, thanks for the update. I must have read the info wrong on the johnson website.

Seeing as its not making a spark, and it looks brand new (came off a small sailboat that was hardly used) my guess is that there is a little oxidation on the points preventing the ignition from working correctly.

Anywho.... If I can get the flywheel off and inspect the ignition parts, it should start. If not, I'll order the right parts.

BTW, I was looking for an exploded parts view of the motor, but only found 3 hp and up. Do you have a link to the Colt exploded parts view on any parts site?

Thanks!

Mark.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It really is a Johnson. The design dates way back to the late 1960's. However, it probably was assembled in some other country. Look at the letter preceeding the serial (not model) number. It tells where it was assembled.

A = Austrailia
B = Belgium
C = Canada
E = Evinrude, USA
H = Hong Cong
J = Johnson, USA
S = South America

T = Tracker model
V = Boat builder

Parts are available from any Evinrude dealer. Some parts are available right here at iboats.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Check the OEM website for parts breakdown.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

In 1989 they only list a JCO-CEB, they list a JCO-ES in 1990.
Anyhow you can get parts at your local dealer or probably right here on iboats.

Ya know, every time I call iboats about an order, they can't get the parts to me in less than 8 business days. Just is so irritating to hear someone fumble around trying to figure out the best shipping date. Ship the stuff TODAY! HELLO!

That is why I don't order from them. Other merchants get me parts in 2 or 5 days max. I don't get iboats. They just shoot them selves in the foot every time they talk to me. Even last week I wanted a simple water pump impeller that they showed was in stock, yet they could not get that impeller in an envelope and into the hands of UPS in less than 4 days. With shipping was a total of 8 business days. So they lost my business.

Got the impeller from someone else in just two days from the phone call. Go figure.

Great forum.