Johnson Venom 200 V6 Problems

When I spin my prop, i can hear a loud clicking noise in my lower unit. It really catches while spinning it clockwise and doesn't really catch although still a little when turning counter clockwise. I am a new boat owner and am wondering if there is any trouble shooting I can do on my end, like taking the lower unit off and inspecting the gears. The only maintenence I have done with the lower unit is change out the oil this spring. Thanks for your help.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Johnson Venom 200 V6 Problems

Disconnect the shift cable and put it in neutral by operating the shift lever by hand. The cable nut might need adjusting.
Do yourself a favor and order the factory service book.
www.outboardbooks.com

Thank you for the reply! I was looking all over for a manual for this particular motar but couldn't find one anywhere. If that website does indeed have the one for my motar I will purchase it right away. I am not sure of the model number at the moment but I will check tomorrow.

It is a 97 Johnson Venom 200 V6 and it's on a 98 Stratos 201 F/S. Do you know if they have factory manuals for my boat too? I browsed on outboard books but it looks like they only go up to 96 :( Again, I will be getting the model number later to verify.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

'97 and newer motors - manuals from BRP Evinrude dealer.

I'm not sure if that book is correct. I don't see why it wouldn't be but there is no model number for reference. My model number is J200STLEUB.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

There's no reference to any model numbers. It's the right book

Thanks. I have placed the order for that book. The sequence of problems that were happening were..

I was having a very hard time starting the motar while IN THE WATER. It will start fine at home with the muffs or with the trim all the way up, barely in the water, on the lake. When the motar is fully submerged it is very difficult to start and dies numerous times before getting going. At wot I used to be getting 5000+ RPMS but after this recent trip was only getting ~3000. This is when I noticed that the propeller doesn't spin freely when rotating. The shaft is catching on something inside the lower unit.

jonesg

Admiral

Go to the auto store and grab a $12 adjustable gap spark tester.

Set the gap to 7/16th inch and remove all spark plugs, test each sparkplug wire for good blue spark as you crank engine.

I suspect you'll find weak spark on some cyl's.

Putting the lower leg into the water provides backpressure , any weak spark will make it hard to get going, it will run fine on muffs though.

I tested each of the sparks as suggested and all of them have a nice blue spark, didn't notice a problem there. What I did notice was some corosion on the plugs, a little bit on the spark plugs themselves but specifically on the plugs identified in the attached picture. Would this be causing my starting problems?

Also I fixed the prop and it's no longer catching, so we are good there!

Still waiting patiently for my manual to arrive.

Attachments

• IMG00048-20100726-1518.jpg
    IMG00048-20100726-1518.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 1

My manual arrived, although it doesn't give me much insight as to what the plugs are in my above post. Does anyone know?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

200, 225, 225HO 1994 - 2001 QL78YC .030" gap

jonesg

Admiral

I tested each of the sparks as suggested and all of them have a nice blue spark, didn't notice a problem there. What I did notice was some corosion on the plugs, a little bit on the spark plugs themselves but specifically on the plugs identified in the attached picture. Would this be causing my starting problems?

Also I fixed the prop and it's no longer catching, so we are good there!

Still waiting patiently for my manual to arrive.

Those are the coils, is it dried saltwater ?
Pics aren't very clear.

You're a new boat owner, I went through a learning curve myself but I had a mechanic show me the ropes with mine.
They like to start a certain way and aren't tolerant of the wrong proceedure.
Read this FAQ.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=225510

I read through my manual and checked and cleaned numerous parts and replaced and gapped the plugs. The old plugs were gapped .040 - .060 and they are supposed to be .030! It seems to be running so much better and starts right away now. Taking it out on the water tomorrow for a test hopefully it will be running solid.

jonesg

Admiral

.040 - .060 ! crikey.

.040 is max.

strklyeuro

Recruit

i have a 1994 200hp venom needs lower unit !!! i was told one off a 150 would work so i checked around .... has anyone ever heard of big daddy 150 johnson not sure of year but cant seem to search one

boobie

Supreme Mariner

This post is over two yrs old. You should start a new one. Please read the rules at the top of the forum.