Trim/Tilt 1980-200HP Johnson O/B won't go down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy W.

Seaman
No down tilt/trim action! Trim rams will not go in either. I feel like it's not an electrical issue since I've gone directly to the blk, grn, and blu wires feeding the trim/tilt motor. Motor runs fine in both directions. Tilts up, but not down. I've tried to push on the tail of the motor to assist while in the down mode...this does not help. I lubricated the steering tube pivot area. The motor seems free to pivot on that axis. I pulled the manual release screw all the way out and used the punch method from another member to try and release pressure. That didn't seem to help (if I did it correctly!). The manual calls for removing the top of one of the trim cylinders with a spanner wrench to release potential pressure. Does this make sense? Again, the motor runs it fine all the way up but will not run it down. The Motor runs, but no movement whatsoever. I know the motor has been stored for 5+ years. Thanks for your replies!

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Trim/Tilt 1980-200HP Johnson O/B won't go down!

Did you get a squirt of fluid when you center punched the ball in the manual release hole?

Randy W.

Seaman

NO, it didn't squirt fluid and I don't think I really did it correctly! I removed the manual release screw, but is there another part to remove before using the punch? (i.e. shuttle valve) Joe Reaves has an awesome post on this topic and I should have had it in front of me! Sooo...take out the manual release screw AND the shuttle valve? This hydraulic stuff is just not simple for me like the electrical side of things!

jonesg

Admiral

You should read Joe's post again.
I print many of his posts out and put them in my service book as extra info.
Naturally you should have the factory service manual if you're going to play with the engine.
www.outboardbooks.com

Randy W.

Seaman

I agree and I have the manual. I need to review Joe's post regarding the shuttle valve. Thanks! If anyone has done this procedure, I could use some additional insight.

A-Train

Recruit

Randy,
Please update if you solve it as I am facing TnT pistons stuck extended on my '83.

chrisotenn

Cadet

randy w i dont know your exact problem. but mine about 1 month ago did the exact same thing i raised my motor all the way up right out of the water, but then the motor wouldnt go down at all. i foung the release screw on starboard side it went down finally. i have 2 relays one for up and down switched them now it wouldnt go up but would go down. i took it to advance auto parts told them i was picking this up for a friend but didnt know what car it came off of. i matched it perfectly same polarisation and everything. fixed my problem mine outboard is a 1984 70hp johnny. maybe this might help i hope this is your problem instaed of something alot worse.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It might be constructive or at least instructive to have on hand the full text of the service bulletin that deals with this very common problem .

It's important to understand that the problem always comes from failure to use the trail locks when the motor is in the tilted position for any length of time.

This applies to storage on or off the water as well as to trailer.

Attachments

• Stuck Up Trim 1.jpg
    Stuck Up Trim 1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Stuck Up Trim 2.jpg
    Stuck Up Trim 2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 1978 PT&T Parts.JPG
    1978 PT&T Parts.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 11

Randy W.

Seaman

It might be constructive or at least instructive to have on hand the full text of the service bulletin that deals with this very common problem .

It's important to understand that the problem always comes from failure to use the trail locks when the motor is in the tilted position for any length of time.

EXCELLENT! I guarantee that this was the case on this outboard. I bought used after it has set for several years and then transported in the tilt position. This is a hydraulic problem on mine and not electrical. I know the relays cause issues of this nature too, but I was not so lucky!

Randy W.

Seaman

I'm still working through this issue. It looks like there's a spring missing on the outside of the reverse lock check valve. The diagrams I've reviewed show a spring on the front and back of it, so I've ordered one to test. We'll see. At 100 degrees in the Midwest, I'm not making a major project out of it yet!

jonesg

Admiral

It's important to understand that the problem always comes from failure to use the trail locks when the motor is in the tilted position for any length of time

Printed out and added to my service book, ta.:)

Randy W.

Seaman

Well, I'm still working through this issue. Lots of great input. I've used the Joe Reaves method to release pressure from the reverse valve and it seems to work well with a nice spray after one hit with the hammer. Unfortunately, it still won't trim down after reassembly and filling it back up with fluid. The motor is running in both up and down modes, but it physically goes up only. I released pressure a couple of times using the above method. Am I missing a step in the process? Does the attached shuttle valve look assembled correctly?

Attachments

• 210.jpg
    210.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1

Randy W.

Seaman

Well, I'm still working through this issue. Lots of great input. I've used the Joe Reaves method to release pressure from the reverse valve and it seems to work well with a nice spray after one hit with the hammer. Unfortunately, it still won't trim down after reassembly and filling it back up with fluid. The motor is running in both up and down modes, but it physically goes up only. I released pressure a couple of times using the above method. Am I missing a step in the process? Does the attached shuttle valve look assembled correctly?

Anyone have any additional ideas for me? Does the shuttle valve look correctly assembled on the previous post? I'm going to get back to the project this weekend. Thanks for your ideas.

Randy W.

Seaman

Do you have the service manual?

www.outboardbooks.com

Yup...original shop manual and one other. I think I'll try filling it back up and working it up and down manually one more time after checking everything....then I'm afraid it's off to the shop...ouch!

jonesg

Admiral

Do the trim rams retract when running it down?
If yes the tilt tube is binding.
If no replace the manual release valve.

Its in the manual.

Be sure you've got the release valve properly tightened, put a wrench on the screwdriver, I couldn't do mine by hand.

Randy W.

Seaman

Do the trim rams retract when running it down?
If yes the tilt tube is binding.
If no replace the manual release valve.

Its in the manual.

Be sure you've got the release valve properly tightened, put a wrench on the screwdriver, I couldn't do mine by hand.

Thanks Jonesg...the trim rams do not retract. I will replace the manual release valve also.

Status
Not open for further replies.