2005 Evinrude 40 Etec - No Spark - Dead

etapatai

Cadet
I need to find out what happened to my outboard motor. After shutting off the motor using the emergency stop clip. My motor will not start again. There is no spark to the plugs. I've checked the 10 amp fuse and it is still in good condition. I've heard that I need to send in my EMM (Engine Management Module) to have it reset? Any ideas anyone?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 2005 Evinrude 40 Etec - No Spark - Dead

A BRP Evinrude dealer can attempt to interrogate your EMM to tell what happened, but it may well be dead. DFI Technologies MAY possibly rebuild your EMM, but I'm not sure they do E-Tech EMM's. They have done Ficht EMM's, but just not sure about E-Tech.

An EMM is major bucks, in any case. Just out of curiosity, why did you use the emergence lanyard to stop your motor?

muskrat

Chief Petty Officer

Better make its not the key switch or harness before you start talking emm replacment.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Was the motor at high rpm when you pulled the "killed switch".

If so, the motor may have gone into emergency shutdown, called code 57, which will not allow it to start up until the code is cleared by the daignostic software and a laptop.

A trained tech can troubleshoot a no-spark situation very quickly, and that is what I suggest to you.

It is very rare that the engine computer fails on an E-TEC

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Seahorse 100 %. If this mtr was shut down at high rpm you can have a code 57. The only thing you can do is take it to a good dlr with a lap top and have him erase the code. It will never start if the code remains in the EMM.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

... and don't stop the motor with the lanyard again. Bad move!

marinetech77

Cadet

I need to find out what happened to my outboard motor. After shutting off the motor using the emergency stop clip. My motor will not start again. There is no spark to the plugs. I've checked the 10 amp fuse and it is still in good condition. I've heard that I need to send in my EMM (Engine Management Module) to have it reset? Any ideas anyone?

You need to bring your motor to an authorized BRP dealer to have the EMM reset using BRP software